2nd Time Smoking Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kusinskij

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
New Albany Indiana
Picked up 2 pounds each of Sharp Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Swiss and Provolone.  Cut them into 1/4 pound blocks and placed in the freezer while I got the AMNPS going. Used a combination of Pitmaster dust and bourbon barrel pellets (3/4 dust, 1/4 pellets)...

Pepper Jack and Cheddar - Before

Swiss and Provolone - Before

Once the AMNPS was going, Placed it in the bottom of the MES (Unpluged), put four frozen bottles of water in a foil pan on the bottom shelf.  Let it run until my ET732 showed a cabinet temp of 70 F. Put the cheese in the MES and let it go for 3 hours.  Cabinet temp stayed between 70and 78 degrees the whole time (Outside temp was 65).

Cheddar & Pepper Jack - After

Swiss & Provolone - After

Vacuum sealed and will let sit for at least 30 days....  I need to start doing a load of cheese about every two weeks - that way I always have some great snack food around.

Awesome Looking Cheese!!

How'd the mix of dust and pellets work?

I just have not tested dust and pellets very much, so very curious

TJ

Todd,

It worked great.  I preheated the two in the microwave, then mixed them together.  Poured in the AMNPS and started smoking.  Two things I did notice:

1. The pellets seemed to keep the dust going better (I seem to have a hardtime keeping dust going).

2. The pellets do tend to increase the temp some, but by adding a few more frozen bottles of water, it works great

The mixure has a great smell and taste.  I've used it for smoked pork chops and bacon before - Awesome....

The cheese looks awesome - I too have done dust and pellets - In my SmokinTex  I was having trouble keeping pellets going but dust burned great. The dust did help keep the pellets going for me 

I have had the opposite issue. I have a hard time keeping dust going, pellets burn great, but dust alone seems to go out after about 15 to 20 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky