2nd cook, Lamb shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ozynorts

Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Evening to you all in the USA.
got up early this morning to get my second ever cook going. A lamb shoulder.
my first was a pork shoulder and despite good flavour it wasn’t tender enough. I didn’t have and temp probes at that stage, had them on order but they hadn’t arrived. I tried to cook based on the temp in the lid therm. Hhhaaaahaaaaa. My probes arrived (Inkbird IBT-2x) and after checking them via the boiling water method they appeared to be very accurate. So easy to hookup via Bluetooth.
I set one up on the grill and one in the meat. All I can say is wow. Instant temp control. It appears my lid therm was reading 50’f hotter than what it is at the grill. This meant I tried to cook the pork with no where near enough heat.
Lamb has been cooking now for 3 1/2 hours and the temp is sitting nicely around 230 and I have been able to keep it reasonably consistent. Will update later

Sounds declious. Post up pics of the finish. Yea the stock lid or door thermos are usually bad. Mine reads about 50F low.

If it's bone in pork butt and you don't have access to a thermometer you can wiggle the bone when you think it's done if it wiggles and feels like it will pull right out it's done if not keep cooking it

Yes, please post pictures. Before and after if you happen to have them. I'm quite interested in any lamb cut I don't regularly see. It's a 2 hour drive to get these cuts, wanna make sure it's worth my time!

Yes, please post pictures. Before and after if you happen to have them. I'm quite interested in any lamb cut I don't regularly see. It's a 2 hour drive to get these cuts, wanna make sure it's worth my time!
Sorry, forgot to take a pic before it went in. We love lamb in Australia, perhaps because we have the best in the world so it is really popular and readily available.

Reactions: fivetricks
I think I’ve hit the stall. It’s sitting at 154 f and not moving. Any tips

6 hours in.

Attachments

• 9F196011-9410-4A7C-9C9C-8B46449303BB.jpeg
    9F196011-9410-4A7C-9C9C-8B46449303BB.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: fivetricks
Thanks, I’m really surprised. I bought a budget smoker and after last week was convinced I had wasted my time. The probes have changed everything. I have been able to maintain an even temp and can watch the meat temp rising in real time.

9 hours in.

Attachments

• 213E624C-7D02-4A86-9B42-A82E10E0D01E.jpeg
    213E624C-7D02-4A86-9B42-A82E10E0D01E.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
I realised that my probe on the plate was a bit removed from my meat so I have moved it closer. The temp jumped up straight away. Oops, oh well it looks great and a quick finger poke test seems to suggest good things ahead

Well after another hour we couldn’t wait any longer. 10 hours . The flavour, omg, everyone was raving.
my description of the burnt ends “adults popping candy “
One of our friends arrived mid cook. Her comment , get it off, it’s burnt. After tasting , I am buying one of those cookers.
success

What was the final IT of the lamb?
I always thought most people eat it med/rare.
At least that's how I like my lamb chops!
It sure looks good though!
Al

I thought I had already attached this final pic but I guess not.
In hindsight I would take it off earlier but that is the fun of learning something new. It was still great though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky