2nd Cook in MB 40" Charcoal Smoker Whole Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
This is from a few weeks ago. Still working on dialing in the flavors with this thing. Getting a little better with trial and error, more error though.
Took 2 whole Chickens, seasoned very simply with SPOG, overnight. Then into the smoker at 250' with Expert Grill briquettes, and some hickory chunks under the charcoal.
Previously the chunks had flared up, and they still did this time too.
IMG_2219.jpg
Smoking for about 4-5 hours, longer than usual, had to keep turning off and bak on a few times due to the flare ups from the hickory chunks.
IMG_2220.jpg
All finished after 5 hours. A little dark for my liking, but flavor was better than previous cooks, not strong though.
IMG_2221.jpg
Overall not bad, was juicy, but I'm still learning this MB 40" Charcoal smoker. I will try pre soaking the wood chunks next time to see if it minimizes the flare ups. I need more than just the Charcoal flavor into the meats.
Thanks for looking in. Stay safe all.

Thanks Justin. I'm gonna keep on with it, I just have to be patient, until I run out of ideas, lol. Thanks for the like too.

Mike you don't have to eat the skin, I don't but then again I don't eat much Chicken
Richie

Reactions: MJB05615
That bird looks pretty good to me Mike....especially for 2nd cook. I hope you're better at keeping a log than I am .

Reactions: MJB05615
Mike you don't have to eat the skin, I don't but then again I don't eat much Chicken
Richie
Thanks Richie, We don't usually eat the skin. I cook with it as it keeps moisture while cooking, I also try to get some rub under the skin as well. Thanks for the like.

Looks good man! I've never had much luck with poultry at low temps for such a long time. It usually comes out dry. Did you wet brine at all?
Thanks Tucker, I do not wet brine, although may do next time. It always comes out nice and moist. I didn't take any pics after carving this time. I think I was too preoccupied with working the new smoker and forgot.
Thanks for the like.

Doesn't look too dark to me mike. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake. It was debateable on the darkness. When I use the MES instead, it's always slightly lighter in color. That may be the difference between electric smoker and charcoal. Either way it was good, and I'm getting more confident in the Charcoal smoker going forward.

Reactions: TNJAKE
That bird looks pretty good to me Mike....especially for 2nd cook. I hope you're better at keeping a log than I am .
Thanks 912, I don't keep a log, just what sticks in my head, lol. Thanks for the like.

Nice job Mike for sure a learning curve on a new toy can be difficult but you will get it.

Warren
Thanks Warren. That's very true, the learning curve. But as I'm getting older, almost 60, I'm expecting more things to be less complicated, lol. Thanks for the like my friend.

I agree Warren. It would be nice if things got easier, but it is what it is, right?

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky