28 pound brisket in the MES (Had to get creative to fit it in!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoketrailsteve

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Purchased a 28 pound brisket and it still wouldn't fit in the MES after trimming. Here's how I solved it:

10 Hours total at 225 degrees (wrapped after 4 hours)

Rub Recipe: 2 TBSP Paprika 1 TBSP Chilli Powder 1 TBSP Pepper (Course Grind) 1 TSP Garlic Powder 1 TSP Onion Powder (Note: Assumes you will apply salt first and dry brine)

Reactions: pi guy and jcam222
Did you really wan't that big a brisket, or just wasn't sure of the size you needed, I usually stick to 14 to 15 lb range, need more I cook 2. Just wondering ?

Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
They were the only sizes available. It might be because I'm in Canada and the beef has lots of fat on it in the winter. Not sure the reason

That's a big hunk of meat to get smoked up at 225º in ten hours. How'd it come out? RAY

Holy smokes ! (pun intended) That is the biggest brisket I've ever seen. How did it turn out? I'd be afraid of it drying out because of the longer cook time needed.

I see, When that's all you got, that's all you got. I have smoked 20+ pounders in the past,
that were tender and very, very good.

Gary

Cool tip on injecting while still in the wrapper. I inject briskets and chuck clods often and it usually is messy. I’ll have to give this a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky