273 pcs of Salmon Nuggilicious

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have only done nuggets with Coho (king) Salmob. Typically the best price is at the local marina. No idea what to expect to pay, this early in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Salmon I typically use Alder and Apple or just Alder, depending on the mood I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
cmayna,  Have a 2.2# sockeye fillet chunked and in the brine now.  Going to try and have it done for a get together this eve.

Got 80 pieces including sticks out of it.

Tom

Awesome,

I'll bring some wine and beer
icon14.gif
.   2.2# will give you about 1.1+# of finished product.   I've never smoked sockeye before but when I did some Silver after doing my typical Coho,  I didn't realize how much leaner Silver is and I smoked it too long for it was too firm for my taste, so be sure to watch the temp and yank them little pups as soon as you reach your 140 mark.

Don't forget some pics.

Awesome,

icon14.gif
.   2.2# will give you about 1.1+# of finished product.   I've never smoked sockeye before but when I did some Silver after doing my typical Coho,  I didn't realize how much leaner Silver is and I smoked it too long for it was too firm for my taste, so be sure to watch the temp and yank them little pups as soon as you reach your 140 mark.

Don't forget some pics.
Gotcha on the weight.  I normally smoke Sockeye and King's.  I let smoker go to hold (140°) when the IT reaches 140°, carryover then takes the fish to 145°, my desired temp for 30 minutes. Due to time constraints, I will cook this at a higher temp, no stepping.  Wish I had done this yesterday, it is a spur of the moment beer fest around a camp fire. 

Mr T's "Smoked Salmon From Go to Show" w/Q-View

Thanks,

Tom

Awesome,

icon14.gif

Don't forget some pics.
Come on up, alcohol or food is your ticket to anything around here.  

Just finished the Salmon.  The procedure used worked very well producing a sweeter than my usual finger food, will be taking both this evening.

Using your recipe. the fish was brined for four hours, not air dried for pellicle, placed on a rack and in the Cookshack 066 with 1.25 ounces of Alder chunks.  The ambient and starting temp was 65° and the smoker set at 200°.  At 35 minutes, the Salmon had reached 140°, smoker temp was 190°.  Turned the smoker off and let the Salmon rest for 30 minutes.   The smoke color was white with a medium density.  We will see how it goes tonight.

I'm not one who ramps the temps during a cook when it's done it's done.  By adjusting the color and density of the smoke, the amount desired is applied according to the product being cooked and the time it takes to cook.

Thanks for the inspiration,

Tom

Tom,

Looks ever so yummy.   Congrats.

Craig

Last edited:
Do you get a sludge of brown sugar at the bottom of your container? I get that when using the 4 to 1 sugar/salt ratio. Just wondering if that's normal or should I be using less sugar. Seems wasteful.

If you use a lot of mix and don't stir it during the brining period, yes.

Impromptu on impromptu off.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, the fireside get-together was postponed to a later date.   Being unable to get opinions from others, I can only offer my wife's and my own.

Used as you would candy, we both felt the nuggets were sweet and good.  Although they are very good, we both felt that the wet brined cured smoked Salmon that I normally do will be preferred, as it is much more versatile than the nuggets.

We will be offering both types at future gatherings.

Tom

Impromptu on impromptu off.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, the fireside get-together was postponed to a later date.   Being unable to get opinions from others, I can only offer my wife's and my own.

Used as you would candy, we both felt the nuggets were sweet and good.  Although they are very good, we both felt that the wet brined cured smoked Salmon that I normally do will be preferred, as it is much more versatile than the nuggets.

We will be offering both types at future gatherings.

Tom
Tom, just wondering your usual set up and procedure, I am getting ready to head for seattle next week and will be picking some up, I am going to do Craigs way and will try yours also if you don't mind sharing, BOTH You and Craig look like the champs on this deal. great job. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

Thanks DS 

Been thinking about this post a bit more since I recently smoked some salmon on Friday. It turned out great and all but I realize that the salmon sticks are probably more in the direction I like my smoke salmon. Not really jerky but not a steak either. Hard to describe but your sticks have the look from the outside anyhow. How was the moisture? Drier than a traditional style? I actually prefer just a tad on the dry side.

Thanks, Bryce

Last edited:
It's all based on size of the pieces.  The smaller, the less time it typically takes to cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky