250 gal. tank build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hvacrick

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
I have a 250 gal. tank and a 500 I'm about to start the 250 . why can I not find any free plans to build a reverse flow smoker ..? I also just started raising my own pork so a whole hog bbq is coming..

With the amount of free help you get from places just like this forum you don't really need plans, just the ability to ask questions and patience to wait for a few potentially different solutions.
I've built a 250 trailer and am currently working with carolinasmoke to build another one for him.
In the time I've been reading threads and helping where I can, by answering questions I've realized that all the folks here at smokingmeatforums have no problem at all helping you to spend your money.
Here is a pic of my completed build which may give you some ideas

If you have any specific questions about the build process ill be more than happy to answer them.

I plan to start a 250 build very soon too. I have been on Felden's site but still am having a hard time figuring exactly what size to make FB! Would love to hear what others have done.

Rick, morning..... JW is spot on.... Look in one of the smoker build "FORUMS" and find something you like ..... We'll help you get it perfect.... Dave

I plan to start a 250 build very soon too. I have been on Felden's site but still am having a hard time figuring exactly what size to make FB! Would love to hear what others have done.

The size of your firebox length and width should be the same as the diameter of your tank most 250gal tanks I've seen are 30" then you can play with the calculator to get the height right after you decide if you want any options like an ash cleanout pan.
Also when figuring your dimensions don't forget to take the material thickness into consideration.

Last edited:
ok thank you guys, where do I place the baffle plate and what size should the opening at the end be ? do I use a angle iron to make a channel for the drippings to drain out ? do I need a water or juice pan ? I'm thinking two doors but I may want to do a whole hog some time . 

I put my baffle plate at 10" and mounted my firebox at 9" up from the respective bottom and 10" in from the end.
I can get a picture of the CC to firebox opening along with the dimensions I used sometime tomorrow.
I just kept using the 1/3 ratio for most measurements. 1/3 the firebox gave me the 10" in and up but I saw where folks said the air gap between firebox and baffle plate help to even out the heat so I dropped the top of the firebox to the 9" point.
If that didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to re-explain.

As far as the decision for the door if you think you might do a whole hog ever, I would recommend one door. I could cut up the hog with my 2 doors but that kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. I built mine specifically for competition and catering/family event/potluck cooking.
I've recently found a 125gal that I'm going to use for a whole hog cooker with a single door.

I have a 250 gal. tank and a 500 I'm about to start the 250 . why can I not find any free plans to build a reverse flow smoker ..? I also just started raising my own pork so a whole hog bbq is coming.
Im all about cutting cost but I'm so glad that I came across this forum. The knowledge and skill on this forum is second to none. Every question that I have asked (trust me there was a grill full) numerous people from all over the US answered and a couple from over seas. While the hog is growing hop on board and read the many post and you will probably find your answers. You remember some movie and the punch line was  "if you build it they will come" The same holds true for this forum...If you ask we all will help.

250 and 500 your a lucky guy

a lot of good help guys I thank you all.. feel free to keep giving me your ideals I just ordered a plasma cutter and bought a Lincoln 250 arc welder .

ok question I'm going to pick up more steel tomorrow how thick should my baffle plate be ??1/4 ?? 3/16 ?? 

I know now why most of u cut the supports off and roll the tank over to make a new top of the tank.

do I need the bp to slope down from the fb end to the other ? I was thinking about 1/2 drop if I do a drain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky