250 gal rf trailer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lino

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Belgium
~~its been a while

I was still reading along but a lot has changed ( rebuilding the house getting a son into the world ...)

so now i'm back and hoping to create a smoker at last

a lot of the old materials I had were delivered to the scrapyard ($$$) and some new ones are bought, first a new trailer from an old caravan +/- 7 meters (gne reduce that to 4 meter max.) a 250 gal propane tank, 2 gas burners...

the rig will be made in a school where they teach metal crafting, welding, car mechanics so I think the welding and stuff will be oke  (I hope so)

I still have a lot of questions so here we go:

1. for the fb I have a 1/4 inch plate  is that thick enough?

2. i'm going to place a food warmer on top of the fb do I need to leave some space between them?

3. is I isolate the fb and the warmer how thick does the outer iron need te be?

4. should I isolate the bottom of my cc to?

5. what type isolation I use best?

6. how thick does the rf plate needs to be?

7. when I cut off  the end of the tank should I measure from the cut point to the front to calculate my fd dimensions?

7. can I use tis iron to make a charcoal/wood basket? and how thick should I take? 

I'm planning to go scrapyard hunting next weekend

here are some plans on what I want to create

Last edited:
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

unsure.gif

Welcome Lino, I will try to provide some help.

1. for the fb I have a 1/4 inch plate  is that thick enough? Yes, 1/4" should be fine.

2. i'm going to place a food warmer on top of the fb do I need to leave some space between them? Double layer would be a good idea for the top of the FB to keep it from getting too hot.

3. is I isolate the fb and the warmer how thick does the outer iron need te be? Another piece of 1/4" will work well.

4. should I isolate the bottom of my cc to? It should not be necessary to insulate the cc if it has sufficient thickness 3/16+

5. what type isolation I use best? Mineral wool is a good insulation.

6. how thick does the rf plate needs to be? 1/4" is sufficient

7. when I cut off  the end of the tank should I measure from the cut point to the front to calculate my fd dimensions? Use this calculator to input your CC volume to determine the FB volume, then adjust your dimensions to best fit your tank diameter. A bigger than required FB is not a bad thing at all but remember the calculator always references the CC volume for proper air flow.

http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

8. can I use tis iron to make a charcoal/wood basket? and how thick should I take? Yes, it will work well, use 1/2" if it is available because it can sag with heat if it is much smaller diameter.

Good luck in the scrapyard!

Len

so at last  we started to build the smoker,

one end of the tank is cut off  the rest will folow soon

pictures will be plased soon

some question

hinges on the fb door and the cc doors what do u guys recoment 

how thick is the flat iron  to put on the doors?

thx 

Welcome back Lino!

Here is another calculator that should be used since there have been modifications to assure success. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/reverse-flow-smoker-how-to-calculate-build-tutorial

Many options are available for hinges, most build them out of flat plate and use a bolt for a pivot pin. Small diameter pipe and solid rod are also used with success. These are very nice if you can find large chain, this was M7's build.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...low-trailer-mounted-with-storage-compartments

For the flange material around the firebox and CC doors,  most guys use 1/8" or smaller so approximately 3mm for your system. This is thick enough to easily weld, but thin enough to bend to fit tightly. Start welding a spot at either end, then weld in the center and work back and forth so the metal with pull tight from welding. The best method is to drill holes approximately 4-6" apart and weld in the hole, like a spot weld so it will be blind and you can grind it flush on completion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Len

Reactions: lino
i used the new calcuator  i'm happy to find stuff like that around here 

those chain hinges are NICE!  (the whole build is)

i was thinking about making  the hinges the full lengt of the door so it wont bend out of schape ?

would that be possible with chain to? (if welded together )

Yes, welding the links together would work to stiffen up the door. It is a cool build, another approach I have seen is to make the piece long and past the fixed hinge support and add a counterweight so you have door support, hinge, and counterweight support in one piece of metal with a pivot support welded on above the door. I'll try to find the pictures of the setup on here but it was done quite awhile ago. With the size of your smoker, you will likely need a counterweight, it will be heavy!!!!

Len. Thx fore the tips and reaction,i Guess the rest has given up waiting on Me :)
I'm gne try postong some pics This evening

Aha great i had that ons on favoriet nut kould nog find it

THX!

You are going to have a nice smoker, and a nice grill too, some people make fire pits out of the ends

Gary

Good start, looks like a nice smoker build

Gary

Thx Gary, i'm cutting the Doors right now i will post the pics later

Probably the best advice I can give is planning, lay it out, recheck your measurements a couple of times then cut. Take your time, if you have questions or run into a problem Take a time out research it rest a bit then go ahead.  It's hard once you get going to want to stop. But make it fun and you will end up with a great smoker

Gary

i did it like u explain it and it took me about  2 hours to cut them out, firs made a cut across the lines but not all the way true it then slowly cut out line after line with a break now and then 

very happy whit the results 

the best advise indeed Take it Slow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky