25 lbs of smoked sausage (Hot Links)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
74 I don't worry about them being equal,my crew doesn't even care as long as I make they will EAT LOL .ground 20 pounds yesterday stuffing tomorrow. LIKES
Richie

Reactions: 73saint
Great looking sausage! Have you by chance tried Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hot Links recipe? I'm curious how the Walton's mix compares. Would you comment on the salt content of the Walton's Hot Link mix, and did you add Cure #1?

I'm not normally a pre-mix sausage guy, but I have been testing the Walton's chorizo mix.

Great looking sausage! Have you by chance tried Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hot Links recipe? I'm curious how the Walton's mix compares. Would you comment on the salt content of the Walton's Hot Link mix, and did you add Cure #1?

I'm not normally a pre-mix sausage guy, but I have been testing the Walton's chorizo mix.
I have not tried Bigwheels hot links. Regarding the salt content....they are a wee bit salty, but certainly not too salty. What's interesting is when I did the initial fry test, they weren't salty at all. But post smoke, the salt seemed to be more pronounced. I have some warming up now, and I am eager to try them. I did add the cure #1 pre mixed pack that the seasoning mix came with.

Wow looks delicious! I’m gearing up to make 10lbs this weekend, seeing yours is making me wish the weekend got here sooner

Everyone in the office is chowing down, This sausage is the BOMB DOT COM!! Definitely not too salty...my favorite sausage to date!

Reactions: thirdeye
Salt is the most inexpensive ingredient, so some companies (rub manufacturers too) can be a little heavy handed. A cold beer or a little spicy mustard can disguise saltiness. :emoji_laughing:

The Bigwheel recipe gets it's salt from Tender Quick and only calls for 1 teaspoon of Kosher (which I just omit), so for 7 pounds there are 6 teaspoons of Tender Quick, which is light for true smoked sausage, so I either bump the Tenderquick or shoot for 3 hours of smoking with shower or ice bath following that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky