21 Day Dry-Aged Tomahawk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
This started out about 3+ lbs, but after drying and trimming, came to about 2.5. I used Sausagemaker Dry Wrap, which in retrospect I should have gone with an Umai bag, as those don't permanently adhere to the meat. Trimming was tricky on this with all the bones and angles.
20200926_154341.jpg

Dry brined with some kosher salt and started the reverse sear process in the oven at 225° while I fired up the coals on the Weber.
20200926_174309.jpg

You can see in this pic how the salt dissolves into the meat, but not the fat.
20200926_174333.jpg

Forgot to get a shot on the grill, there was some flames and smoke to contend with from the fattiness of the ribeye, but here is the end result. Dusted with a little Montreal Steak seasoning before putting to the coals.
20200926_190808.jpg

20200926_190812.jpg

I brought it up to about 105° IT, then seared to a perfect medium. It was actually more pink than some of these pics indicate. This 1st pic looks like it was initially cooked sous vide.
20200926_191047.jpg

20200926_191137.jpg

Some fresh, local corn and cheesy potatoes to round things out. Something about dry-aging seems to make the meat more moist somehow. Seems like a contradiction in terms, but I can't argue with the results. This steak fed 3 adults, and was more than enough. Just wish our dog was still around to enjoy that big bone. She would have loved it.
20200926_192039.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great and perfectly cooked! From all I've ever heard, dry aging is an excellent way to go and it makes the meat so much better as you said. Nice work.

Great looking meal. Nicely done on that dry aging.

Point for sure
Chris

Delicious! Do you prefer dry aged?
I do, when the cut is large enough to withstand the shrinkage from moisture loss and then the trimming of the dry outside surfaces. It gives the meat a more beefy taste, and as I added above, it weirdly seems to have more juices when cooked, instead of less.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky