2023 Throwdowns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
Since I happened to open my mouth, so to speak, and got myself on the planning committee, I want to know what themes would really motivate y'all to participate. We aren't talking specialty cooks here, but something most everyone would feel comfortable entering a cook. We would really love to see a ton of participation in the throwdowns in the coming year!

I think you all do fine.. Since you ask though normal stuff we do all the time like ribs, meatloaf, chicken... Would be cool. Asian stuff some Hispanic stuff too. Not just bbq but maybe stir fry and slow cooker. I do think there's Enough sou vide to try one this year maybe. Sides are always a winner but be more specific on the side maybe.

keep up the great work appreciate all you guys do

well done.jpg

Being as this is Smoking-Meat.com, I, for one want to see a smoking element included in the throwdowns. Could be smoked meat like bacon or sausage in the recipe, but definitely some smoke in there somewhere.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Being as this is Smoking-Meat.com, I, for one want to see a smoking element included in the throwdowns. Could be smoked meat like bacon or sausage in the recipe, but definitely some smoke in there somewhere.
I personally think some of them could not require smoked meats. This site is jam packed with other skills such a griddling, sous vide etc. I certainly see why many would have a smoked element though. Just offering up my opinion.

Many great points already. What about a dish with a smoked meat such as pulled pork, brisket, etc? Next month, something on the griddle? Next month, something that incorporates homemade pasta (since that seems to be the new trend)?

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
That may be, but a line has to be drawn somewhere in planning events that will be most inclusive.
I’m not suggesting some, even most don’t require it. When you think themed though like Mexican, Italian, Super Bowl, Soup and Griddle as examples those should be broad and inclusive of all potential entrants.

I’m not suggesting some, even most don’t require it. When you think themed though like Mexican, Italian, Super Bowl, Soup and Griddle as examples those should be broad and inclusive of all potential entrants.
Griddle? Everyone here have one? I don't. I want stuff everyone can do.

How many people do that? My aim is to get themes that most everyone can get in on. Inclusive, not exclusive.
Agree if it were “Homemade Pasta” it would exclude many, heck self included perhaps. Now if that theme was “Italian dinner” one could incorporate it but you could easily enter without pasta too or with store bought. I understand and appreciate your thought process.

Griddle? Everyone here have one? I don't. I want stuff everyone can do.
Fair enough, that theme could be Smashbugers, stir fry etc. you can use a outdoor griddle, indoor griddle pan , cast iron, wok etc. Feminds me I was cleaning a cupboard today and found a brand new indoor Calphalon griddle new in box. Forgot I had one left after a big buy out I did on them.

Reactions: bauchjw
Yes, this is a forum about smoking meats and other things...but I don't feel everything needs to be smoked. I've learned alot here on other things besides smoking...enabling for one! Lol
One of the new thread sections (sub forums) whichever you want to call them is sandwiches...maybe a good theme. Trying to come up with an idea myself on those...since Sowsage Sowsage Hasn't been around...someone needs to build some outlandish sandwiches lol! Rich , chopsaw chopsaw had a really great looking one recently.
Some of my post might seem redundant...got a phone call so was delayed in finishing it for about an hour.

Ryan

I retract my suggestion ...

I retract my suggestions too

Don't be afraid to speak your minds... it forces people to think. Creativity breeds creativity.

If all we were forced to stick to was smoked meats it would be boring.

I'm good with picking an ingredient... kind of similar to Beat Bobby Flay in Round 1. Would definitely spark my interests in being outlandish

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky