2023 Throwdowns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I retract my suggestion ...
I retract my suggestions too
I agree, the question was asked and you guys are entitled to your say. The point of these is to have fun! And get more participation. I enjoy seeing them, don't usually join more for time restraint reasons... but the last one...gravy...was right up my alley! If the dang work thing didn't always get in the way.

Ryan

I like the international and holiday/event themes suggested. Those sound like a lot of fun and in line with the viral trends we see here a lot after a fascinating dish is posted. Helps develop new skills too! I am in 100% agreement with more than a few here, I joined SMF with a smoking meat focus, but my overall cooking has improved dramatically in all things and my techniques has been broadened beyond what I ever believed.

The only thing I would offer as an addition would be a tribute theme Throw down for SMF members we’ve lost once a year? Picking a dish, recipe or technique they posted about here?

I agree, the question was asked and you guys are entitled to your say. The point of these is to have fun! And get more participation. I enjoy seeing them, don't usually join more for time restraint reasons... but the last one...gravy...was right up my alley! If the dang work thing didn't always get in the way.

Ryan

That was kind of why I said that. I don’t participate currently because I’m lucky enough to just make a meal right now let alone document it lol. Two very young kids makes it tough.

That was kind of why I said that. I don’t participate currently because I’m lucky enough to just make a meal right now let alone document it lol. Two very young kids makes it tough.
I don't even have young ones but don't always document cooks. Just wanted you to know I appreciate the input, and I'm not in charge of them at all. But I really like seeing them and hopefully we get more participation...myself included.

Ryan

The way I see it, if you want as much participation as possible, it needs to be somewhat about why we are all here. I don't think it is just smoked meat, but what you do with it. Everyone here, well most everyone here can smoke meat at a good level, so if you wanna win it's the context of the smoked meat. This can bring in lots of stuff already suggested

Say 3/4's are this and the other forth can be could be about not smoking meat.

Just my opinion

Think outside the box (smoker) ... give us an opportunity to show off our knowledge and skills

Reactions: chopsaw
Why not have a combined throw down?

Smoked and not smoked? Like an anything you can cook, smoke, stuff, cure.....EH

Reactions: Fueling Around
Or a special ingredient. Imagine all of the different entries we could have?

For example, tomato sauce. We’d have entries all over the board. Same with cheese, pork, beef, pasta, you name it.

Don't be afraid to speak your minds... it forces people to think. Creativity breeds creativity.

If all we were forced to stick to was smoked meats it would be boring.

I'm good with picking an ingredient... kind of similar to Beat Bobby Flay in Round 1. Would definitely spark my interests in being outlandish
A Facebook group I participate in does Chopped challenges about once a quarter. They identify 3 ingredients that must be used in your entry. It’s a lot of fun.

I applaud DougE DougE for stepping up and asking the hard question. This forum is changing and debate is a healthy thing, but I would like to see TBS stay at the point of any theme. That’s what built this site and is still the main attractor to new members and lurker types. You can’t turn this site in to a Martha Stewart knock off, you just can Not do that. This site is very inclusive and engaging on a multitude of cooking styles, this is a good thing, but the foundation is and should be smoke, the thin blue kind.

Im all for bringing in the black tops, the SV, the oven, fresh pasta, whatever, it’s all fantastic. But incorporation of TBS is the fiber of this web site, call it the secret ingredient, but the smoke needs to stay the theme on Throwdowns. Just my thoughts.

The presentation of the winning entries has been off the chart good. They are usually very eye appealing and creative to say the least and that can be very intimidating to folks like myself who are not as creatively minded as others. While our food may taste good, maybe we feel that we can't compete with the presentation side of the throwdowns and that may keep many on the sidelines just watching and voting. But it's always interesting to see what people come up with and I really like seeing that...

My 2¢, well maybe 1¢...

Thanks Doug for doing this thread

I love doing the throwdowns and I like them because I find them fun to see what everyone's idea of the theme is
or how they bring it to the meal.
I do a lot of cooking but mostly only post foods that are smoked or have a smoked part to it , ie: my chicken stew with dough boys , I used smoked chicken.
I post here other items also desserts ( I smoke a lot of them also ) preserves, and BBQ most times with a pellet tube in there

I for one love this site and it is the only social media site I belong to, So what ever is decided I know I will try if time is right join in .
But no mater what the theme is I will still try to incorporate a smoked element into it.

And I also try to make my meal look appetizing, again that is me.

That is just me and this site I joined .

Hope I did not offend anyone,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky