2023 N FL Gathering Rub Contest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Sorry for the delay in posting the contest results.

We had 3 entries to the contest. pineywoods pineywoods had a great idea to use country style ribs for the event so that is what we did. The ribs weren't coated with anything other than the rub.

Here they are all coated down. This was after about 10 minutes

20230422_162743v2.jpg

I used pineywoods pineywoods new Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker. Set it to 300° and let it roll. From left to right you have 1, 2, and 3.

20230422_163149.jpg

I didn't spritz with anything or sauce as I wanted the rubs to shine thru on their own. Once done they rested for about 30 minutes then I cut them into bite size pieces taking the fat and all out of them for judging.

Here is number 1 from boykjo boykjo

20230422_182734.jpg

Here is number 2 from civilsmoker civilsmoker

20230422_182731.jpg

Here is number 3 from D daspyknows

20230422_182728.jpg

All 3 entries were really good. 2 were more sweet and 1 was more savory. I wish I had a little more of each rub and I could have spritzed then coated them some more but maybe for the next one.

The voting was 1 vote off from 1st to 2nd place so it was very close.

And the winner was number 3 D daspyknows . Congrats to you for the win. 2nd was number 1 boykjo boykjo and 3rd was Civilsmoker.

Watching all of the people taste test all 3 of these entries let me tell you it was very close and lots of them had a hard time picking which one they liked the most to the point of having to taste test several times so all of you should have your heads held high.

Great job guys.

Till next time.

Is there any way that the recipes could be shared so that the rest of us can try them? Or are they already posted on here somewhere?

Reactions: daspyknows
Congrats to boykjo boykjo civilsmoker civilsmoker D daspyknows for their entries. and thanks for all who put this ocntest on. I, too hope this gets carried on to the next gathering. Even from afar, it was fun to watch! For those testers who needed to taste beyond three tries, I question whether they truly needed to test more to name their favorite, or if the rubs were so good, they just wanted to eat more of them...

I’ve posted this rub before but here it is again…..it is a savory rub I think it is best on Brisket and baby backs with a mop or two near the finish. The mop adds more sweetness to the ribs. I don’t mop brisket.

1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice (changed to Taekyoung red pepper powder). Way cheaper than the 7 spice.
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp flakes in spice grinder).

mop
cup of chicken stock (reduced by 1/2)
then a Tbsp each of rub, turbinado & granulated sugars, and butter

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-“point”-of-beef……pure-goodness.317974/

Last edited:
Congrats D daspyknows on the inaugural rub throwdown win.
They all look great. I'd been back a couple a times for a taste just to "make sure I got a feel for the flavors" you know.

Jim

1C brown sugar
1C granulated garlic
1/2C smoked paprika
1/2C black pepper
1/3C onion powder
1/3C kosher salt
1/3C cayenne pepper
1/3C dried basil
1/8C ground bay leaves
1/8C ground rosemary
Yea that's a good blend, nice work daspy!

Well I owe you an apology I voted for yours and that was like the kiss of death for it :emoji_disappointed:
:emoji_wink: well at least I have company..... Isn't that why we do this so we can adjust for the individual tasters.....

I'm going to try daspyknows rub....looks tasty for sure. I have always mopped mine on pork so its lighter in flavor for the build up.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky