2020 Thanksgiving Dinner!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok the boy kept his solo run going today while I was working in the shop.....this is his very first smoked prime rib! I’m pretty sure he has a new job to do in the house!

his progress shot
835961D1-445D-4E3F-A6EB-1743F1CF13A0.jpeg

he did his own combo blend of spices Not sure what but tasty and then he ran the pellet smoker at 225......

He pulled it at IT 125 (about 3 hr 20 min) and let it rest for 12 min to slicing....
F9EC968C-89C4-4B79-A8DE-B911C1249DDE.jpeg

....... I think I may just have to stay in shop working from now on and let him roll! The boy done good!

Kitchen's still a mess from yesterday , but here's a couple . You may or may not like it . Pulls together the black appliances .
View attachment 472746
I made the bottom piece . 3/4 with a round over on the front , and a rabbit at the back to fit the bottom rail on the cabinet . Then a small profile on top of that .
View attachment 472747
I have a 3/4 rip of plywood on top to close off the cabinet and act as a solid shelf .
Then ripped a piece of dimension lumber to hide the core .
2 5/8 crown under that .
View attachment 472749

chop very nice trim! tge plan is to keep the clean lines and will have solid stock on the bottom to conceal the lights and a square on the top with solid stock post type corners to match around the how I’m doing the bar!

Ok the boy kept his solo run going today while I was working in the shop.....this is his very first smoked prime rib! I’m pretty sure he has a new job to do in the house!

his progress shot
View attachment 472874
he did his own combo blend of spices Not sure what but tasty and then he ran the pellet smoker at 225......

He pulled it at IT 125 (about 3 hr 20 min) and let it rest for 12 min to slicing....
View attachment 472873
....... I think I may just have to stay in shop working from now on and let him roll! The boy done good!
Looks great! Looks like you taught him well! Admire your wood working skills as well! On another note of Gordon Ramsey cookbooks...I'm sure I'll end up with all three but do you recommend one as a favorite?

Ryan

That is amazing already! Looks great, I can't imagine what you've gone through, but well worth it in the end. Your Son did a great job on those Ribs too. Stay safe.
thanks MJB! It’s been a ride but we are starting to see the end of the tunnel, just on the slow train....lol. The boy is earning his keep for sure!!!

That is one heck of a beautiful remodel.
thanks! You know the saying if you want it done right do it yourself.....only it should say be prepared to stems the time to do it right....

Totally jealous, gonna be beautiful. . .
Thanks winter! The wife has wanted this for a long time.....well and me to!!!

The beef looks good. Starting the Kids Young pays off. I handed all my girls a meat mallet at 2 years old as they stood on a chair next to me. By 22, 2 were Pro Chefs and the third an accomplished cook...JJ

Looks great! Looks like you taught him well! Admire your wood working skills as well! On another note of Gordon Ramsey cookbooks...I'm sure I'll end up with all three but do you recommend one as a favorite?

Ryan

thaks Ryan! As a kid I wanted to be a woodworker but all the shops in town were good ole boys and there was no room for a youngster.....so I became an engineer!

the boy is studying to be a medical lab scientist so following recipes and technique is right up his alley!

I would start with the the Hells Kitchen book first. The second would be 30 min meals. The home cooking one has a lot of ingredients specific to the UK but is has some good techniques and you can always substitute. The Hells Kitchen one is worth the price just for the Mash, grilled shrimp, and sausage pasta

Reactions: Brokenhandle
The beef looks good. Starting the Kids Young pays off. I handed all my girls a meat mallet at 2 years old as they stood on a chair next to me. By 22, 2 were Pro Chefs and the third an accomplished cook...JJ

thanks awesome JJ! Being a good cook is an needed life skill in my book....it also helps have a few more hands in the kitchen!

That is going to be a nice kitchen man! Beautiful 6 burner. God I miss gas. Been 5 years without it now. And your boy did a hell of a job on the beef ribs! Good luck with everything!
thanks smokin! 6 burners is like having a 6 pack.....just how it should be....lol. I’m a gas man all the way!!! I’ll give the boy your props

You will LOVE the new kitchen! Enjoy! It looks great!
Thanks Sandy! The kitchen is the heart and soul our our fam/house so we are really looking forward to it being full function later than sooner....got to keep it real!

pc farmer pc farmer thanks for the like!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
That Prime Rib is perfect! Great color and doneness. He's well on his way to cooking stardom.

That Prime Rib is perfect! Great color and doneness. He's well on his way to cooking stardom.

min a proud pa for sure! Had he not take. The reins we would have been having cold cereal for dinner....lol!

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice work on the rib roast . Cooked perfect . Been cooking with mine a long time too . It pays off for sure .

Kitchen is looking Real Nice, Civil !!!
Reminds me how I used to struggle doing things like that before I went full time Cabinetmaking, with a complete Shop.

That Prime Rib looks Excellent too!!!
Like.

Bear

Nice work on the rib roast . Cooked perfect . Been cooking with mine a long time too . It pays off for sure .
I can say for sure I was a proud pa for sure! I’ll pass one the good word to the boy!

Awesome looking PR there a great job by the son.

Warren
Thanks Warren, I think the boy knows Santa is watching so he is working it pretty dang good......he knows what makes Santa

Kitchen is looking Real Nice, Civil !!!
Reminds me how I used to struggle doing things like that before I went full time Cabinetmaking, with a complete Shop.

That Prime Rib looks Excellent too!!!
Like.

Bear
The boy says thanks!

oh man I would love to have a full wood shop, but I’m glad to have some space to work and having 3 shop vacs hooked up to each machine helps but always emptying them. One of my biggest challenges is getting good materials. I actually drove to a supply place in Utah to get what I wanted.....

Johnny Ray Johnny Ray thanks for the like

oh man I would love to have a full wood shop, but I’m glad to have some space to work and having 3 shop vacs hooked up to each machine helps but always emptying them. One of my biggest challenges is getting good materials. I actually drove to a supply place in Utah to get what I wanted.....

It was nice:
I had a 2,900 Sq Ft Rancher, with a 2,900 Sq Ft Basement, with an extra block in height.
I got all my materials, Plywoods, Hardwoods, finishes, Hardware, etc, etc delivered to my shop.
Only bad part was I'd have to get Bear Jr to help carry 40 sheets of plywoods each delivery, and 1000' to 1500' of Red Oak, in 8 to 10 foot lengths, down 17 steps to the basement. (Not fun)

LOL---Had to carry all the finished Cabinets up the 17 steps too, but they weren't that heavy, since there was never any particle board in my all wood cabinets.

I closed it down when we moved, to help Bear Jr in his Tower Business.

It was Fun, but not as much when it's how you're making your living.

Bear

It was nice:
I had a 2,900 Sq Ft Rancher, with a 2,900 Sq Ft Basement, with an extra block in height.
I got all my materials, Plywoods, Hardwoods, finishes, Hardware, etc, etc delivered to my shop.
Only bad part was I'd have to get Bear Jr to help carry 40 sheets of plywoods each delivery, and 1000' to 1500' of Red Oak, in 8 to 10 foot lengths, down 17 steps to the basement. (Not fun)

LOL---Had to carry all the finished Cabinets up the 17 steps too, but they weren't that heavy, since there was never any particle board in my all wood cabinets.

I closed it down when we moved, to help Bear Jr in his Tower Business.

It was Fun, but not as much when it's how you're making your living.

Bear

2900 would be nice for sure! My shops is 700 which can get tight with the boxes our spread out (as you know). . I like the what you think.....These cabs are American sourced “true” 3/4” ply.....NO P-Board here! I have a friend that is a builder and he wants me to do a few sets for him a year for those clients that want something non-box store....but I haven’t committed to it yet.......my day job pays the bills so not sure I want to work that hard!

Ok, I know this is an old thread but it’s story is still going (almost done).....there have been many honey do list items and two weeks ago, the cabinets finally got crossed off the list when I finished to top trim......I still need to finish the tile back splash but that will be done in the next few weeks! Holy smokes this was a ton of work!!! But am very happy with it now!!!
6E4203FD-9017-4036-A30F-FB6A028789DA.jpeg
FEFA3501-4904-40A3-BC7F-A4C8A93C12B3.jpeg
A075ED52-A370-43B0-9CBB-9257EA8F9ED4.jpeg

I am going to change out the two top doors next to vent hood as they came out more gray when I polyed them and I don’t like the grain match (errr!).... they looked good together in the garage on the layout.....but the diff between tubes and LED but me!!!......I have a another matching sheet i was saving for another project but I can get those two door sets just right in color and grain, but that will happen after Christmas.

Last edited:
PS this was the before....... the MW died the week we moved in the oven shortly there after and only 3 of the induction burners would work, the fridge would freeze everything in it every 3 or 4th day....I’ve never seen sooooo many lemon appliances EVER!!!.......we did everything ourselves except run the gas line.
CB19F831-05BC-48B8-90DF-77FB86D67474.jpeg
16BDFC63-8602-4414-965B-FC73D117F4E0.jpeg

Oh these cabinets are now in my shop! Fit in perfect!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky