2020 Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jfsjazz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 6, 2012
Ohio
Since we moved to our current home a couple of years ago, the only thing the deer won't eat is garlic. So, here is this year's crop, 90 plants strong and looking healthy. Harvesting and drying should start in a few weeks. So far, so good! 20200612_194013.jpg

Nice . Sounds like you need to set up a tree stand .
If only it were legal in the 'burbs. My son hunts in Michigan and I make a lot of summer sausage from the venison. The ones that trudge through my property don't seem fazed when I hold up a summer sausage chub of their cousin!!!!

If they're eating all your crops maybe you can file for a nuisance permit?

Deer will eat near anything that smells good to them. Even pot plants. Ask my new 9 foot tall deer fence how I know that little Diddy :emoji_laughing:
Here is the garlic hanging in my basement for the next couple of weeks to dry. After some sharing, about 80 heads remain.
Check out the size of the elephant garlic! I set a golf ball next to it for perspective.View attachment 454660View attachment 454660
20200719_134054.jpg
20200712_150242.jpg

... So, here is this year's crop, 90 plants strong and looking healthy. Harvesting and drying should start in a few weeks. So far, so good!
What variety do you plant? I grow Music (hard neck) and Incheleum Red (soft neck). I plant around Halloween and harvest around or after July 4. The soft necks last pretty close to a year so we rarely run out of garlic.

What variety do you plant? I grow Music (hard neck) and Incheleum Red (soft neck). I plant around Halloween and harvest around or after July 4. The soft necks last pretty close to a year so we rarely run out of garlic.
This year I had some Aglio Rosso di Sulmona (sourced from Italy), Susanvilles, Persian Stars, Ohio Reds, Elephant, and a mishmash of varieties that I stopped keeping track of. About 2/3 are hard necks.

After I'm through using what I need for sauces, soups, sausage, etc. I'll store some until next year, but I'll also roast a good bit of it too. Then I freeze it in ice cube trays, bag and vac seal, and I have roasted garlic whenever I need it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky