2011 SELA gathering Oct 28,29 and 30

Discussion in 'Events' started by alblancher, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I just had a guy at work ask me if I could make some rabbit sausage for him if he brought the rabbit to me. I will give it a try in the week or so. Since rabbit is lean, I will mix about 30% boston butt with it like I do with deer sausage.

2. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Chef Brigtsen is one of the most popular chefs in New Orleans.  His restaurants are all rated with the best in the city.  I think we should give this recipe a try!  Thanks for the link.

3. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

hummm...... were going to have hare sausage huh.....[​IMG]

4. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Your welcome !

5. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Damn work with their stupid fiscal year end BS and the festival the week after!

Joe - steal some of that alligator sausage and snack stix and bring them back with you to NC. I will pay you cash and come pick it up. [​IMG]

6. boykjo

Better yet.. I'll just bring bobdog back in a suitcase with me and have him whip us up a batch.... You'll have to pay the extra baggage fee.......[​IMG]

7. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

That will work. [​IMG]

8. Green Onion Alligator sausage in the smoker !!!!  Will be bringing this and some fresh gator sausage- Also will have a surprise item to bring that I won't disclose until the eve[​IMG]nt !!!!! 

9. alblancher

I am willing to be there will be all kinds of surprises at this event!   Right now the weather has been perfect.  Warm days and cool nights, clear skies,  Just perfect. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

10. boykjo

11. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Rabbit has about the same fat as yard bird  so it should be good to use an adjusted chicken sausage recipe

12. alblancher

Chef Brigtsen's recipe has a lot of ingredients and he uses the oven, doesn't smoke them.  I have 10 lbs so maybe 5 lbs wrapped in bacon and smoked and the other 5 lbs in sausage.    I am willing to try just about any rabbit recipe we can come up with.  Maybe BobDog will have the answer           Bob did ever comeup with  a way to do the buffalo?

13. eman

I think the Kabobs is going to be the way to go

14. alblancher

Maybe 2 inch cubes, marinate them in a bit of soy sauce, beef broth, spices, little bit of chopped habs? something to give them a bit of moisture and then an easy smoke with onion, bell pepper, mushrooms on bamboo skewers?  I'll add that to the grocery list.

15. eman

I think 2" cubes would be good.  IMHO ,it needs to be no more than med to med -rare so that it won't dry out.

16. alblancher

Bob,

Would you be interested in meeting at Whole Foods after the Field Day?  I believe they are at Jefferson Hwy and Corporate Blvd.  Would probably be closer for you and on the way home for us.  I would like both of us to take a look at the cuts of Buffalo and decide what to use.    If you don't think it would be a problem freezing it for a couple of days I might just go ahead and purchase what we need.  Saves me a trip to uptown New Orleans.

17. Smoke Green Onion Gator Sausage ready for the event in SELA !!  This with gator sticks and a surprise !!![​IMG][​IMG]

18. eman

that would be fine, not far from the house and there's plenty to eat nearby.

19. If you would like i can bring the cajun seasoning i use to make my sausage. W/ 5 lbs of rabbit meat, I would suggest mixing it with 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of boson butt meat. Just let me know.