20# Ham, how to ensure it all gets some yummy smoke flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trikefreak

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
I couldn't resist getting a full ham while they are on sale. I've never smoked something this large, and was wondering if maybe I should cut it in half, or add a lot of deep slices to help the smoke/rub penetrate the meat. Experts, what have you done? I don't know if I'll do a long, colder smoke in the MES, or toss on the charcoal smoker and cook it around 200'ish. I'm open to any and all words from experience, I want this 20#'s of meat to WOW the family this Holiday weekend.

Any words of advice? Should I smoke low and slow in the MES, or toss in the charcoal smoker? I've never cooked up a hunk of meat this large, sure don't want to waste it! I'm leaning towards the MES, so I can control the temps, get good apple juice steaming, and whatever chips work best.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky