2 Racks of Ribs with a Cooking Test. Plenty of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
It's been a while since I've post any qview of my ribs.  My 10 year old son has been on my case about making him some.  So being the giving father that I am, here's some ribs my dear boy.

I started with 2 racks of loin back ribs.  I got them for $3.39lb.  No mustard.  Just rub.  The one on top is rubbed with Gates Original, the other with Smokin' Guns Hot.  I rubbed them last night, the picture is from this morning so they look a little wet.

ry%3D400

The Smokin' Guns went down on the bottom and the Gates on top.

ry%3D400

Let the waiting begin.  Had a little snow the other day.

ry%3D400

I decided to try a little different cooking method.  Instead of 225 and a 3-2-1 or a variation of that method, I decided to cook around 250*.  I did these without foil or spritz.  In fact the lid only got opened one time through the entire cook.  They cooked for 5 hours and were really some of the best ribs I've ever made.

Again, Gates is on top and the Smokin' Guns is below.

ry%3D400

Served these with some green beans and biscuts. 

ry%3D400

I also made a moink loaf since the wife and daughter aren't crazy about ribs.  I'll post that next.  Wife did eat a couple of ribs though and said she liked them this time.

I have a friend that does some smoking too and we share recipes and sample each others food.  I took him over 3 of each type of rub.  I didn't even consider his wife and kids.  I dropped them off and he texted me a few minutes later.  He said "That was like dropping a cow leg into a den of staving lions.  We devoured those ribs."    So I guess he/they liked them. :)

I loved the texture, they had a great bark on them, not much pull back.  I think I've found a new way to do my ribs from now on.

Oh, and I liked the Smokin' Guns rubs better.  My son and my friend both liked the Gates better.  It was too sweet for me.

Thanks for looking.

Nice looking bones right there!

I think that 3=2=1 method is the easiest way for someone w/ minimal smoking experiance to produce some top knotch ribs. but in the last 6 months i have started trying other methods and they do work .

Great looking ribs Jay - Good to see you back here too 

Great looking ribs Jay, I've started doing my ribs differently also. Lower temp. 210-215 & longer without foil. 6-6 1/2 hours for bb's. Also letting brown sugar melt on top before putting them in the smoker. Got this idea from Johnny R. I'm going to try your way & see which I like best. The old stand-by 3-2-1 is hard to beat, but it's fun trying.

DUDE !!!!!

Those ribs look Great!

And I agree with Eman about 3-2-1 being a starting point.

That's what I consider my "step by steps" too---A place to start----Then they can go from there, or keep using them.

I just present a safe & easy way for people to get their smokers dirty.

Thanks for the views,

Bear

Thank you all for the great comments.  Much appreciated.

Nice looking bones right there!

I think that 3=2=1 method is the easiest way for someone w/ minimal smoking experiance to produce some top knotch ribs. but in the last 6 months i have started trying other methods and they do work .
Hey it was just a few years ago that I was still making ribs in the OVEN (gasp!).  I feel pretty confident with my abilities these days so I'm less afraid of wasting the time and money in trying something new.  Glad I did.  This is going to be my new method...for now anyway. 

Nice amount of veggie to meat ratio there too
LOL!  Glad you noticed that.  That's my attempt to have a balanced meal.  And it gives me the clout to tell the kids "If I eat the veggies, you have to too".

Great looking ribs...Always make 2 styles of ribs when i smoke also...something for everyone.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
We can't please everyone, but we always try.  :)

Great Looking Ribs!!I think I'm sold on a 5 hour smoke on the next batch.Todd

Thanks everyone.  I smoked a bunch of ribs this weekend, but can't seem to get a new thread up and running.  I'll post it when I can.

Here's a teaser...

ry%3D400

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky