2 chickens, some CSR's, baked beans and coleslaw for lunch today w q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Well,

I've had some construction people at my house for the last three days. I thought they did an extra good job so yesterday I told them they didn't need to pack a lunch. I'll feed them pulled chicken, CSR's, baked beans and coleslaw. They seemed pretty excited about that. It all turned out great... except they didn't show up today until noon. They were going to be here "first thing" so they could get finished today. I doubt they get finished now but oh well... I was still happy to feed them. Then they say, that since they were running late they grabbed something on the way. Oh well, now I have plenty of leftovers.

I brined the chicken last night. They weighed 4.7 and 4.8 lbs. I smoked all the meat at 250. That's a little less that I would normally do birds and a little more than I would normally do the CSR's. I figured it was a good middle ground. I was right. It all got done at the same time. Exactly two hours. The birds are juicy. The ribs are tender. The beans are my version of Dutch's. The slaw is a recipe I've been working on. It's yummy but the dressing ends up being runny. I want to fix that. It all had great flavor though!!  

Hope you enjoy the q-view.

de4ea8e4_Twochickensdone93010.jpg

cc0e6ddc_CSRsdone93010.jpg

055b827d_lunch93010.jpg

What a bunch of knuckleheads.  You did a really nice thing for them even though they did not take advantage of it. Everything looks great, I would be happy for a plate of that for sure  

icon_cool.gif

I'm in construction and It's nice when a home owner wants to do something like that for you. I would have showed up and eaten the food and if anyone didn't show they would be looking for a job. Now that was a nice thing you did. If I were you I'd be looking for a new bunch of egg heads to finish the project. I have done many project for people who don't even treat you like a normal Human Being. We are just low life construction workers. But you are one of the nice folks to work for. 

That's a heck of a gesture. The most I did when I had my windows done was offer the guys a few beers at the end of the day. I guess that's better than some folks do though. Not sure why the guys wouldn't show up earlier though. I don't know if I would have the guts to show up for work that late. I wouldn't think they would book themselves for more than one job at a time, so why be late? Oh well, at least you tried.

Great lookin' food Smoke_Chef  !!!

Takes all kinds. I worked construction a lot of my life, and I had some buddies who could be late & sometimes not show up, but none would do that with a meal like that waiting for them.

Bear

Thanks for the nice words on the q-view everyone.

I did get a little more of the story after I posted above. There were a couple of things going on. One, he does book more than one job at a time and then has to juggle his time and the clients requests. I'm told that almost all contractors do that these days. That way they keep themselves and their crews working 40 hours (or more) per week. Otherwise, there would be down time from job to job. That makes sense to me and I'm good with it. Two, he had a big story about having a flat.. the wheel was bent... his spare was flat... there was more. I don't know. It was a pretty crazy story but the guy seems honest enough so I choose to believe the whole thing. He did call me about 10 a.m. to let me know he was still coming and gave me part of the flat story then. Plus, I think he chose not to have a sit down and eat lunch so he could get the maximum amount of work done at my house today. Also, I think he probably would have felt guilty about eating it since he didn't get done today as he had originally thought he would. He knew it was important to do so since I have company coming tomorrow. Oh well, in the big scheme of things, the house not being finished isn't that big of deal. Maybe I'll re-heat it for them tomorrow. Or... maybe I'll just keep it all to myself.
icon_cool.gif

I'd have been there and thanked them for the free meal. Maybe they were fast food junkies and didn't know any better.

Last edited:
I guess they didn't even know what they were missing...the food looks great and look at the bright side, now you get to eat it!

Thanks for the nice words on the q-view everyone.

I did get a little more of the story after I posted above. There were a couple of things going on. One, he does book more than one job at a time and then has to juggle his time and the clients requests. I'm told that almost all contractors do that these days. That way they keep themselves and their crews working 40 hours (or more) per week. Otherwise, there would be down time from job to job. That makes sense to me and I'm good with it. Two, he had a big story about having a flat.. the wheel was bent... his spare was flat... there was more. I don't know. It was a pretty crazy story but the guy seems honest enough so I choose to believe the whole thing. He did call me about 10 a.m. to let me know he was still coming and gave me part of the flat story then. Plus, I think he chose not to have a sit down and eat lunch so he could get the maximum amount of work done at my house today. Also, I think he probably would have felt guilty about eating it since he didn't get done today as he had originally thought he would. He knew it was important to do so since I have company coming tomorrow. Oh well, in the big scheme of things, the house not being finished isn't that big of deal. Maybe I'll re-heat it for them tomorrow. Or... maybe I'll just keep it all to myself.
icon_cool.gif
I was a Cabinetmaker for about 20 years. I dealt with electricians, carpenters, plumbers, etc all of the time for installations. Some are right on time all of the time. Most are not.

What you have there are right out of the book. Those are excuses number 26 (page 3), number 87 (page 10), and number 176 (page 21), from the "Contractors' Excuse Book". It's similar to the one the cable company uses, but less technical.

Don't get me wrong--My Dad was a Carpenter from after he got back from WW2 until he died, and I did all kinds of carpentry too, but neither of us ever needed excuses. (Seems to be a PA Dutch thing)

Bear

Oh wow Chef, that chicken looks awesome! That really was a nice thing for you to do and a little inconsiderate on the part of the workers.

What you have there are right out of the book. Those are excuses number 26 (page 3), number 87 (page 10), and number 176 (page 21), from the "Contractors' Excuse Book". It's similar to the one the cable company uses, but less technical.
How true! And that doesn’t take into consideration the time factor.

There are three kinds of time; your time, my time and contractor time.

Each one has a different clock and can be adjustable by daylight savings time. 

Oh well it was their loss.

Well... the company I have coming for the weekend arrives at 2 p.m. today. It's my 20 year reunion and a couple of my high school buddies and their wives are crashing here. My wife REALLY wanted the house to be finished and the carpenters gone before our company arrived. So, yesterday... as they were packing up at the normal 5 o'clock quitting time (I thought they may stay late since they got here so late) they promised they would be here at 8 a.m. sharp so they could get everything wrapped up and gone. Well, it's 9 a.m. here and no construction workers. Oh well... such is life.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky