2 Butts 2 Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooter1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lutz, Florida
Went to the local Publix to pick up a couple of butts to smoke for an end of Summer Pool Party get together with the family. The butts were on sale so naturally when I get to the store the meat case is empty. While I am contemplating coming back in the morning one of the guys in the meat department comes out from the back. I ask him if he has any in the back and he says he can get me whatever I want. I tell him I am looking for 2 butts, average weight 5 lbs each. He says no problem and after a while comes out with 2 wrapped butts. He apologizes and says they are not both the same size, one is 3.86 lbs. and the other is around 7 1/2 lbs. I would've preferred them to both be similar in weight but what the heck lets do it. I also picked up 3 packages of spare ribs which were also on sale to smoke the day of the party but thats another post.

Since I am cooking for the family I have to be careful on the spices and especially the heat. I decide to do the smaller one with cuban style Mojo which is what they are used to and the larger one with a BBQ rub the way I like it. The BBQ rub is based on eman's wiki rub recipe and I added a few spices that I like to it. Thanks EMAN! I trimmed very little fat off both as they were pretty much ready to go. Did a cross hatch on the fat cap of the larger one, the smaller one really did not have a fat cap. Both butts rubbed with extra virgin olive oil this time instead of mustard. Applied the rub and plastic wrapped for the evening.

Set up the WSM, minion man method, brought the temp up to 200° and closed vents down to 25% till it reached 230° and had the butts on by 10 - 10:30 A.M. Averaged about 230° - 250° all day. About 3 - 4 hours in opened the WSM to flip and rotate the butts and spritzed a little with some AJ and Captain Morgan. The day was incredibly nice and I really didn't have anything else going on so I was going through quite a few smoking beverages along the way so I really lost track of time. It didn't really matter cause I had my trusty Maverick by my side. Don't remember when I actually took them off though I do have it written down, but I pulled them off at 195° and wrapped in heavy duty foil and into a cooler to rest. Pulled it about an hour or two later added some finishing sauce and snacked on quite a bit before putting in ziplocks for freezing. Re-heated the day of the party and it was like it had just been smoked that day. Everyone liked both butts but the surprising thing was that they liked the BBQ rubbed butt better than the Mojo butt, go figure. Anyway hope you enjoy the pics, Thanks for lookin at my Q!

fbffa9f2_IMG_2868.jpg
aa986281_IMG_2870.jpg
82a6f84a_IMG_2871.jpg
6d6b8319_IMG_2872.jpg
a8305a03_IMG_2874.jpg
2e0e8469_IMG_2876.jpg
8afb795b_IMG_2879.jpg
7b3c6f1f_IMG_2880.jpg
f2475874_IMG_2883.jpg
9d87fb54_IMG_2885.jpg
76b08d9d_IMG_2886.jpg
669db1f0_IMG_2896.jpg
e7a9deb6_IMG_2893.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking pig! and, you're welcome

icon_cool.gif

Now your butt looks awesome and juicy and all. Now let's get this straight you are in Tampa so where does the end of summer start like maybe December. I'm in Jax and I know it doesn't get cold there. Maybe 40's in the dead of winter. I know about the freakish cold blast either blue moon. Oh yea you can't forget the "Global Warming" The Oblabbering Idiot says you shouldn't have to wear long pants anymore that far south.

seriously awesome Q view!

kinda funny they liked the BBQ butt better!   the cool thing is, you had it covered no matter what! 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

i really like it when people show their whole set up, with ingredients they use and etc.!

which brings me to a question: what is that McCormick Smokehouse Pepper?  is it just a coarse grind, or is it smoked, or what?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky