2-2-1 or 2-1-1? What is the general rule for length of time and tenderness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by junkyarddawg, Aug 30, 2013.

1. junkyarddawg

junkyarddawg Newbie

So I used the 2-2-1 method on baby backs recently and they came out well. I only wished they had been a little more fall-off-the-bone tender. Should they have gone longer during one of the phases?

2. What I do with my Baby Back Ribs, is marinade them in cider vinegar, honey and veg oil and whatever spices I have or feel like putting in it.  then into the fridge, overhauled every 12 hours, for about 36 to 48 hours.  Then a day before the smoke,I take them out of the Marinade, wash them and dry them, apply Honey (glue) for the rub.  Then I wrap them in Plastic wrap, put them back into the fridge.  The next morning, I get the ribs out of the fridge and set them on the counter.  I go get my smoker ready, heated up and all that.  I store my smoker in my shed, so this might take 3/4 hour, the whole time my ribs are coming up to ambient temperature. (225)  I then put them in the smoker and do a 2 - 2 - 1 smoke.  They can hardly be lifted off the grates at the end, without falling apart.  Very tender and fall off the bone ribs.

[​IMG]       [​IMG]         [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. I like to cook ribs at 275*. If you cooked at a lower temp you might try that to get the tenderness you're looking for.

4. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Leave in foil longer for more fall off the bone.

Ex: 2-2.5-.5