2-2-1 or 2-1-1? What is the general rule for length of time and tenderness?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

junkyarddawg

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
So I used the 2-2-1 method on baby backs recently and they came out well. I only wished they had been a little more fall-off-the-bone tender. Should they have gone longer during one of the phases?

What I do with my Baby Back Ribs, is marinade them in cider vinegar, honey and veg oil and whatever spices I have or feel like putting in it.  then into the fridge, overhauled every 12 hours, for about 36 to 48 hours.  Then a day before the smoke,I take them out of the Marinade, wash them and dry them, apply Honey (glue) for the rub.  Then I wrap them in Plastic wrap, put them back into the fridge.  The next morning, I get the ribs out of the fridge and set them on the counter.  I go get my smoker ready, heated up and all that.  I store my smoker in my shed, so this might take 3/4 hour, the whole time my ribs are coming up to ambient temperature. (225)  I then put them in the smoker and do a 2 - 2 - 1 smoke.  They can hardly be lifted off the grates at the end, without falling apart.  Very tender and fall off the bone ribs.

music-064.gif

grilling_smilie.gif

canada-flag-14.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky