1st Year Anniversary -" Ham-Cured Rib Ring filled with Loaded Mashed Potatoes"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You on a roll with these filled meats. Your food and write ups are just awesome!

Thanks Brian for the love and the comment

I love mixing cooks together, and this one with the cured ribs than smoked and than filled with the loaded potatoes was I think one of my best cooks and builds. And it looked fantastic , if I must say so myself.

Really appreciate your comments Brian
I did this one back in January for my 1st year anniversary of being on this great site of SMF

David

A Ham-Cured Rib Ring filled with Loaded Mashed Potatoes
1st Year Anniversary , I joined a year ago this week, My first post was for ribs St Louis style . So I just wanted to step it up a bit with this post and did this.
Well on Jan. 27th 2021 I was allowed to join SMF. I had never smoked anything before except a hot dog over an open fire . If you want to call that smoking.
It has been a great year of learning a new way to cook- with a lot of help from this fine group.
And because of all the fantastic foods I see everyone put out , it makes me try to be as good

So a rack of side ribs, cut to a uniform width, brined for 24 hours in the fridge,
View attachment 523292 View attachment 523293
Put the ribs and cut offs in the smoker at 300 deg. for 1 hour with just pepper as the brine had enough salt for my taste .
before you ask, as you can see I left the membrane on for a reason so the ribs do not fall apart on one of me steps later.
Had to curl the ends a little as too long for the rack in smoker , The Ribs took the cure great ,as you can see in the color

View attachment 523294
View attachment 523295

After first hour glazed the ribs with a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and more brown sugar, and wrapped for 1 hour. Brought out opened the foil flipped the ribs and added more glaze

and left the ribs on the foil as a tray and back in for 1 more hour. While this is going on I started the potatoes with the skins left on . Cooked bacon , chopped onions, green onions and cheddar cheese
Cool the potatoes , add all the chopped ingredients and Lawry's seasoning , mix and set aside.

View attachment 523298
View attachment 523296
View attachment 523297

Now the fun part, ( hind site is easy, but next time I will do this part before I cook the ribs ) bring the ribs out. And tie them into a ring shape .....can you say hay stupid the ribs are hot , smoker is hot.
Well I got it done and tied twice to hold the potatoes. Fill the inside with the potato mixture , made a small foil plate to help slide off later. Add more glaze

View attachment 523299 View attachment 523300

back in the smoker for 45 minutes at 335deg., while that is smoking slice up my orange and red sweet peppers and red onions. Fry them up with vinegar and soya Sause .
Remove the ribs and add cheddar to the top for 15 more minutes in smoker at 350deg.
View attachment 523301 View attachment 523302
View attachment 523303

ready to serve . Remove the string, cut and serve on plate with couple cheddar tea
biscuits
View attachment 523305

This was real fun to cook and build . Hope you all enjoyed the walk through. I hope to make it another year here with all of you. The ribs were just like a very tender ham
The potatoes were fantastic......and Mona made me my bestest cake , Chocolate and Chocolate fudge . Had to roll me out of the kitchen
View attachment 523306 View attachment 523307

Thanks for looking , hope you like this smoke

David ( had to change the header as if was confusing, very sorry David )
OH MY GOD...You are just killing it. !! Im a rib guy and I have never seen anything like this before...Definently on my bucket list now.. thanks for sharing.

HT

OH MY GOD...You are just killing it. !! Im a rib guy and I have never seen anything like this before...Definently on my bucket list now.. thanks for sharing.

HT

Thank HT for the like and the comment

They were the best ribs to date that I had done and it was something that I was playing around with .
Worked out fantastic , and the loaded mashed potatoes were perfect with them

David

Happy anniversary David! I always look forward to your posts and wisdom. I have only been on the forum for a short time, already have one of your recipes bookmarked (Thread 'Crispy Smoked Ginger Pork with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce and Fried egg and pork rice'). You are a gem!

Thank you very much Kim for the like and the comment

This is one of my favorite smokes/cooks that I have posted. It was for my 1st anniversary of being on this site , posted it Jan. 24th 2022 after being here for a year. Was going to do a 2nd year one but we went on a nice trip down south for 20 days and when we got back, just too busy, but that is no excuse.

As for my wisdom :emoji_blush:, again nice of you to say, but a lot of trial and error, but I do try to at least post how it worked for me , and my results.

Thank you for the bookmark, the Crispy Ginger pork and rice was a very good meal.

I think I am a GEM also, I keep telling Mona that ... she just rolls her eyes :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:

David

Thank you very much Kim for the like and the comment

This is one of my favorite smokes/cooks that I have posted. It was for my 1st anniversary of being on this site , posted it Jan. 24th 2022 after being here for a year. Was going to do a 2nd year one but we went on a nice trip down south for 20 days and when we got back, just too busy, but that is no excuse.

As for my wisdom :emoji_blush:, again nice of you to say, but a lot of trial and error, but I do try to at least post how it worked for me , and my results.

Thank you for the bookmark, the Crispy Ginger pork and rice was a very good meal.

I think I am a GEM also, I keep telling Mona that ... she just rolls her eyes :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:

David
:-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky