1st Year Anniversary -" Ham-Cured Rib Ring filled with Loaded Mashed Potatoes"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
A Ham-Cured Rib Ring filled with Loaded Mashed Potatoes
1st Year Anniversary , I joined a year ago this week, My first post was for ribs St Louis style . So I just wanted to step it up a bit with this post and did this.
Well on Jan. 27th 2021 I was allowed to join SMF. I had never smoked anything before except a hot dog over an open fire . If you want to call that smoking.
It has been a great year of learning a new way to cook- with a lot of help from this fine group.
And because of all the fantastic foods I see everyone put out , it makes me try to be as good

So a rack of side ribs, cut to a uniform width, brined for 24 hours in the fridge,
1.JPG 2.JPG
Put the ribs and cut offs in the smoker at 300 deg. for 1 hour with just pepper as the brine had enough salt for my taste .
before you ask, as you can see I left the membrane on for a reason so the ribs do not fall apart on one of me steps later.
Had to curl the ends a little as too long for the rack in smoker , The Ribs took the cure great ,as you can see in the color

3.JPG

4.JPG

After first hour glazed the ribs with a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and more brown sugar, and wrapped for 1 hour. Brought out opened the foil flipped the ribs and added more glaze

and left the ribs on the foil as a tray and back in for 1 more hour. While this is going on I started the potatoes with the skins left on . Cooked bacon , chopped onions, green onions and cheddar cheese
Cool the potatoes , add all the chopped ingredients and Lawry's seasoning , mix and set aside.

7.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Now the fun part, ( hind site is easy, but next time I will do this part before I cook the ribs ) bring the ribs out. And tie them into a ring shape .....can you say hay stupid the ribs are hot , smoker is hot.
Well I got it done and tied twice to hold the potatoes. Fill the inside with the potato mixture , made a small foil plate to help slide off later. Add more glaze

8.JPG
9.JPG

back in the smoker for 45 minutes at 335deg., while that is smoking slice up my orange and red sweet peppers and red onions. Fry them up with vinegar and soya Sause .
Remove the ribs and add cheddar to the top for 15 more minutes in smoker at 350deg.
10.JPG
11.JPG

12.JPG

ready to serve . Remove the string, cut and serve on plate with couple cheddar tea
biscuits
14.JPG

This was real fun to cook and build . Hope you all enjoyed the walk through. I hope to make it another year here with all of you. The ribs were just like a very tender ham
The potatoes were fantastic......and Mona made me my bestest cake , Chocolate and Chocolate fudge . Had to roll me out of the kitchen
15.JPG 16.JPG

Thanks for looking , hope you like this smoke

David ( had to change the header as if was confusing, very sorry David )

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Dang! That looks cool as all get out, and delicious, too. Definitely points for presentation, I lack something in the presentation area, cause I'm just gonna cook it up, slap it on a plate, and commence to eating.

Thanks Doug for the like and the comment, took me awhile to figure what I wanted to do for my first year of smoking

It was fun to build , except trying to hold the hot ribs to tie up, know better for next time. Good thing my fingers can take some heat from cooking.

I am like that also lots of times , i don't take pictures of all my cooks. I also did 2 pork loins on Saturday, with all the fixens , no pictures just fill up plate and eat. lol

so I know what you mean

David

Last edited:
Heck of a first post and many awesome ones since!

Thanks Jeff for the like and the comment

Sorry I might have confused you guys a bit, my first post was for ribs , so I wanted to do ribs again but step it up a bit. And came up with this a ring of loaded ribs
Sorry about that , this was just done yesterday

David

Wow, that all looks terrific. I'd eat that in an instant. Ribs and potatoes, yum.

If you increase this much every year, what will you do at 5 years?

Nice work, thanks for another thing to add to my bookmark list.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow, that all looks terrific. I'd eat that in an instant. Ribs and potatoes, yum.

If you increase this much every year, what will you do at 5 years?

Nice work, thanks for another thing to add to my bookmark list.

Thanks for the like and the comment

As long as I keep learning something i'm good ,
I have lots of bookmarked items from the great foods I see here also
David

looks fantastic what did you use for the brine?

Thanks for the comment

It was great
For the brine I used a blend of what I got out of a book I have by Steve Raichlen " project Smoke "
1 1/2 tea Cure #1
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup Brown sugar
1/4 tea ground cloves
3 cups hot water
3 cups cold water
Mix the dry together
Mix all in the hot water until dissolved
add the cold water , let cool before adding to the meat in a large zip lock bag ,
Take all air out of bag. In fridge for 24 hours, flip or massage /roll over 2 or 3 times .
Make sure you put this bag mixture in a basin incase it leaks

Hope this helps

David

thanks for the info

No problem , this was for 3 -4 lbs of ribs . It was very good . I have now done ribs wet cure this way and also dry cure . I like them both. This was a little easier for me and I know the mixture completly covered the ribs.
They were perfect tasting and just like ham in texture also

David

Reactions: masssmoke
I can never find plate ribs like that around me I can find beef short ribs, always cut into separate ribs and usually only about 4" or so I can never find a slab like that. They are good but quite different from the ones you did. Really would love to try that cut if I could ever find it!

I can never find plate ribs like that around me I can find beef short ribs, always cut into separate ribs and usually only about 4" or so I can never find a slab like that. They are good but quite different from the ones you did. Really would love to try that cut if I could ever find it!

That's too bad , they are just regular around here , Spare ribs, back ribs etc
These were Whole pork side ribs, I just trimmed down to approx. same width.

Sure you can't find at your Costco or even Walmart , or local meat market

David

Wow!!! That is spectacular, you outdid yourself on that one! Happy Anniversary! Looked almost too pretty to eat!
I’d say you have a beautiful plethora of tasty meat!
View attachment 523332

Ha Ha

Thanks Jed for the love and the comment

Almost but I did take the knife and fork to it.
And glad I did

David

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky