1st Whole Turkey in my MES 30 with AMNPS & ET732 - Trial Run for Thanksgiving - QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gimmeharmony

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 11, 2013
USA, Mount Vernon, OH
Hi all!  I have a whole turkey that is 14.34lbs (can't go much bigger in this smoker).  I brined it for about 15 hours, rinsed, put pats of butter under the skin, added aromatics in the cavern (1/2 honey crisp apple, 1/2 red onion, fresh sage, rosemary and thyme), and covered with EVOO and some rub.

I am smoking breast down - 275 degrees

Using my brand new Charcoal Gray Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless Dual 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer.  Gotta say, I already love it!

Here are some pics!

Now we wait..........

Looks great cant wait for the final pic keep them coming
drool.gif

Man looks like you have a handle on it. I tryed 275 on my last bird, I just like 220 for nearly everything. Seemed my breast wasn't as tender but it was the only time I did one at 275 on my MES30 so it could have been the bird. Also at 275 (my bird was fliped over from yours), my skin was crisped.

Looks like its a winner winner, turkey dinner!

Excellent research, excellent prep, excellent job, you are going to be happy!

Grats on a great looking smoke!

Thats great looking bird. Turkey is always a favorite at this house.   Hope you took a few photos of the finished bird.  b 

I did my first turkey last week and it was great. It looks like you will be doing even better. May I have more Qview, sir?

Disco

Now all you need for perfection is to invite a Canadian. Allow me to offer my services.

Disco

I went to 165. Took about 7 hrs. It was very windy and cold during my smoke.

Dang....did not see the heads up on the bones. Thanksgiving Turkey bones will become tortilla soup!

Looks like it came out tasty.     Sure not a fan of taking a bird that long from a food safety perspective.  If you don't have access to a charcoal, propane or stick burner next time and got to do electric try spatchcocking because it'll cut the cooking time down. 

The bird was at 140 in just barely over 4 hrs.  The rest of the time was fighting the weather and wind.  Next time I will not run the fan on the chip loader.  That will help the chamber temp.  It was 225ish all day with the elements instead of 275. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky