7.5# Boneless, Rolled, Tied Turkey Breast, PLUS 6# bone-in breast in MES - advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjlnyc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
I hope some of you will be willing to help me out with more specific guidelines than I have been able to figure out researching here and on the web in general. I just bought two diff turkey breasts to do in my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker ("analog", not digital). (I have only previously done whole turkeys, which turned out very delicious if I do say so myself!)
One is 7.5#, boneless, rolled and tied
The other is 6#, bone in, fresh-never-frozen
Both will be brined overnight, 12-16 hours. I use 50% water, 50% apple juice for my brine, with the requisite kosher salt (about 1 cup of Diamond, not Morton KS, per gal of liquid) plus the various spices - peppercorns, sage leaves, bay leaves, rosemary sprigs, and a cut orange- which worked really well with the whole turkeys I have smoked over the years
I plan to use apple and a little hickory in my MES, and keep a temp of 250-275.
Outside temp expected to be in the low 30's - {{{ugghhh-brrrr}}}
Have seen suggestions of time ranging from:
7.5# Boneless rolled tied - low of 4 hours, to high of 6 hours
6# Bone-in - low of 3 hours, to high of 5 hours
Most of the detailed procedures I have seen relate to much smaller turkey breasts - 3-4 lbs. I have seen some posts about larger, but without specific cooking times.
Anyone here with experience on the above who can be more specific on times/temps for these rather large turkey breasts? (Boneless was bought from a butcher at the Italian Market in Philly. Bone in from a Wegman's in NJ)

Thank you in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
I'm doing a bones-in 10#er from the local turkey ranch...FRESH!I do a similar type of brine just a little more basic,overnight.

I use an MES30(digital).Regardless of smoker I'd plan on the higher times.I smoke at 225-230 until I get an IT of 165 and this where a good thermometer comes into play,roughly it comes out to about an hour a pound at those temps.After that its to a hot grill for a short time to crisp up the skin.

Btw I'll be down your way next July for a concert!

Last edited:
I think you're plan sounds good. The most useful thing to can do is get a digital thermometer and cook to 160℉, pull, cover and rest. It'll continue to cook and rise to 165℉. If you're checking temp manually, start checking at about 1 1/2 hours, thinking it'll be done around 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I've had a whole 5 pound chicken cook in two hours, for example. Good luck!

I have the Maverick ET733 thermometer, will be using that to monitor the IT
Just trying to get a more specific handle on times, so I know how early I have to get up!

Hi there and welcome!

You have the IT covered. Generally a think a 20'ish pound bird at 325F will take around 4.5 - 5 hours.
I did a deboned stuffed turkey that weighted 17.5 pounds after deboning and it took 3 hours and 45 minutes at 325F and it had stuffing in it.

No matter what go by the IT. I would give yourself and extra 30-40 minutes to what you estimate the cooking time will be. If it comes out you can always hold the bird at 160F in your oven for a little bit of time without worry :)

56566ceb1b0000470029ea84.png

USDA
This table from the USDA is based on a 325°F oven, and a fully defrosted or fresh bird. (For an unstuffed bird, we're talking roughly 15 minutes per pound.) If you want to cook a frozen turkey, it will take at least 50 percent longer than the recommended times.

This all seems to apply to roasting in an oven...

Hi there and welcome!

You have the IT covered. Generally a think a 20'ish pound bird at 325F will take around 4.5 - 5 hours.
I did a deboned stuffed turkey that weighted 17.5 pounds after deboning and it took 3 hours and 45 minutes at 325F and it had stuffing in it.

No matter what go by the IT. I would give yourself and extra 30-40 minutes to what you estimate the cooking time will be. If it comes out you can always hold the bird at 160F in your oven for a little bit of time without worry :)

56566ceb1b0000470029ea84.png

USDA
This table from the USDA is based on a 325°F oven, and a fully defrosted or fresh bird. (For an unstuffed bird, we're talking roughly 15 minutes per pound.) If you want to cook a frozen turkey, it will take at least 50 percent longer than the recommended times.

This all seems to apply to roasting in an oven...

Yeah if you keep a consistent temp in your smoker without opening it then the oven numbers should be almost identical to that of a smoker. Worse case scenario it gives you a ball park :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky