1st try Whole Chicken QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
2 whole chickens (3 ½ to 4 pounds) brined overnight and smoked with apple wood at 250for 2 and a half hours until the breast is 160remove from the smoker and double wrap in aluminum foil and let rest  

77740022_2wholeSmokedChickens.jpg

Hello Arnie

Those look good from here. Smoked chicken is really good and has lots of uses too.

How did the skin turn out? When I do them at 250 I finish up with about 10 - 15 min on the grill to crisp the skin

Nice lookin' pair of birds you got there!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I luv me some chicken...... like Scarbelly said, I can eat it every nite and never have the same recipe!

The skin was too bitter.

Not sure if it was a result of the smoke or the brine.

I to think the next one I do I will tone down the brine some just to keep it simple

The bitter skin was probable where you had the blanket on top and the smoke couldn't get out. My chicken skin use to taste bitter till I started leaving the vent open.

icon_cool.gif

The birds do look alittle bit on the dark side. Now for the bitter taste I would have to agree with Josh and say that it's from the blanket that is keeping in the smoke. You have to vent the smoker or you will get the bitter smokey taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky