1st try at Smoked Roast Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I have made roast beef hundreds of times in the oven, but never really thought to try it on the smoker.
Had a couple roasts in the freezer, so here we go.
Started them with a bath with Worcestershire sauce and let them sit for a 30 minutes each.
I used a rub that I had used previously in the oven, it is a blend of:
- Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- White Pepper
I don't use salt, as you get enough (IMHO) from the Worcestershire sauce

I let them sit overnight
I got the pit settled in at 230 degrees with Cherry and Post Oak
I smoked the smaller one to 120 IT and the bigger one to 136 (my wife does not like it rare)

Let them rest for 30 minutes then into the fridge overnight. I did not want to deal with cleaning the slicer for such a small amount of meat. I started with the electric knife and did not get the result I wanted, so I switched to one of my Bubba filet knives and was able to slice it thin (no fingers hurt).

Here are some pics of the cook:
IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the first one before I sliced it, and the picture of them on the pit was too blurry.... next time.

When I do it again (and I will) I will lower my pit temp to 225 to get a little more smoke penetration. Other than that it turned out great.

Tomorrow, I will vacuum pack it along with left over ham from today.

Thanks for looking.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Last edited:
That looks perfectly cooked. I've made several on my MES 40, and found it cooks much more evenly than in the oven. Usually with hickory. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: millerbuilds
That looks perfectly cooked. I've made several on my MES 40, and found it cooks much more evenly than in the oven. Usually with hickory. Thanks for sharing.
I agree, it was super juicy and the smoke added an additional flavor profile.

Thanks much!

Jason

Reactions: MJB05615
Geez Jason, that final photo is just the most delicious looking pile of beef that I have seen in a while!
I would love that on a crunchy roll!
And congrats on the carousel ride!!!
Al

Geez Jason, that final photo is just the most delicious looking pile of beef that I have seen in a while!
I would love that on a crunchy roll!
And congrats on the carousel ride!!!
Al
Al,
Very much appreciated!

- Jason

Looks Great, Jason!!!
Mighty Tasty!!
You did a nice job slicing, but You're like Me---I don't like to dirty my Slicer for a Small amount either.
So next time do what I did a few times----Make a Bigger Amount, and use that slicer, so you can really slice it thin, nice & easy!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky