1st smoked turkey for Ga - Fla game. GO DAWGS!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

srivera1965

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Athens, Georgia
Doing my 1st turkey today. 13 pounder Jennie-O. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to thaw it and brine as I need to have it ready for the Ga-Fla game. So I'm injecting the bird with melted butter, apple juice and a little Goya Adobo seasoning mix. Some EVOO rubbed on the skin and dust with Mrs Dash and into the smoker. I'll be using hickory chunks with cherry chips thrown in and hoping to keep a constant temp of 225-250 for about 6.5-7 hrs. or until therm reads 165. QVIEW pics to follow!

Alrighty! Got the fire going - temp evened out at 255-260 degrees F, so I'll keep an eye on that. As I mentioned, I injected the bird with a stick of melted butter, 1/2 cup of apple juice and about 1/3 to almost 1/4 cup of Goya Adobo seasoning. Adobo is a puerto rican staple for seasoning - basically it consists of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder among other things and it just makes any meat taste great. SO after injecting the bird, I dusted inside the cavity with Mrs. Dash, then coated the outside with EVOO and sprinkled more Mrs Dash.

After checking to make sure my temp was consitent at 255-260, I put the bird in @ 10:20 AM. So I will be posting/updating details and pics in realtime today in hopes that my first smoked turkey comes out as tender and delicious as possible. I'd like to mention that the only reason why I am attempting this is because I joined this great forum and reading all the informative posts from everyone here - especially our main man Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to do this everyone. I have discovered a passion for BBQ like never before!

ba60d274_DSCN1389.jpg
5d15cee7_DSCN1390.jpg
eb20bd07_DSCN1391.jpg

Okaaaaay...we're at the halfway point, Tenn and SC are tied at 10 with 2:00 in the half. Here's what the bird looks like so far. I've estimated that it probably will be ready by 5:30-6pm, so I'm contemplating on tenting it with foil so it doesn't get TOO dark. I like a nice, mahagony color on my turkeys, but no darker than that. And WHERE ARE MY DAWG FANS AT?!?!?! Let me hear ya WOOF WOOF!!!

9a26a36f_DSCN1392.jpg

Well, it was close, but the gators took it from us. Dang tunrovers....

But ladies and gents...I give you pics of the final product! It came out wonderful! WHen the therm finally read 165 degrees @ around 5:30 pm, it was showtime! I let it rest for about 10 min before carving and I have to tell you this was the best turkey I ever made! No more oven roasting turkey for me! The white meat was SOOO tender and juicy and had just the right amount of smoke flavor in it. Amazingly good! My son kept going back for more and more!!! We made sammies with tater salad, pickles, chips, etc. and watched the game. Yea, GA may have lost the game, but the smoked turkey was a hit at our home! Thanks and God bless!
d0510a45_DSCN1393.jpg
bd627e41_DSCN1395.jpg

Great looking bird. Sure doesn't look like your first. I though the Dogs were going to pull it of but the Gators came through in OT with that big interception. Good game to watch. Congrats again on the bird. Are you making one for Thanksgiving now? 

Last edited:
Absolutely rbranstner! This was a trial run to see if I would be able to do one for Thanksgiving. It was my lovely bride's idea to try one out and we are sure glad I did. So we're definitely having smoked turkey for the holidays.Today, we're headed to my mom and dad's - mom's got london broil for me to do on her kettle grill....smoked beef sammies!!!

The turkey looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
all I can say about your Dawgs is chomp chomp honestly neither team looked very good and that made for a better game than we've seen for awhile now

well your turkey came out better than the bulldogs, but really that was a fun game to watch,  i thought it was very telling when chas made that field goal and urban fell to his knees and said a prayer  he sid it was one of the  best wins hes had

what does the foil do under the bird? 

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Jerry on this one too. The turkey looks great and the Gator's did just enough to pull out the victory. So like I say every year win or lose. " It's Great To Be A Florida Gator" Oh it's...............

Thank you all for the comments and input. I am looking forward to sharing more "smokin's" with you all. And I LOVE what some of you are doing as well! Lots of great ideas...LOVE this forum!

PDT_Armataz_01_21.gif

OMG that looks beautiful! Love the color. The sammie made my mouth water too. Yea, that was one heck of a second half, I thought we were gonna pull it off for a second. A brief second. Thanks for sharing your turkey love. I've got one in the freezer and just might have to give it a try!

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Jerry on this one too. The turkey looks great and the Gator's did just enough to pull out the victory. So like I say every year win or lose. " It's Great To Be A Florida Gator" Oh it's...............

I can't hear you ...... (sticks fingers in ears) LA LA LA LA LA ........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky