1st Smoked Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
Picked up a prime rib on special discount and decided to smoke it as I had never done one before (my wife does a mean salt-encrusted prime rib and I’ve been wanting to try my smoking prowess on one). It was about 7lbs and I rubbed it down with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Fired up the WSM and threw in some hickory and a few smaller pieces of apple while working outside. I was shooting for medium rare so I pulled it off at 125 and let it rest with some loose foil on top.

E8385E0A-46CC-4B39-9E07-AFA154A71005.jpeg

My wife started cutting it up while I was cleaning up and we had my son, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law over for dinner. The compliments rolled in as we started eating. I was happy with my first try but like to try to get a little more crust on the outside. Smoked prime rib is definitely worth it...my wife said this may be the new Christmas meal. Thanks for looking!

48ECD938-8B80-4AE4-AB0D-49AEF275C36B.jpeg

0324D8D6-2080-464B-9158-16D371EAE34F.jpeg

I think tenting it took it a little past medium, but it does look tender nice job for a first.
Richie

Picked up a prime rib on special discount and decided to smoke it as I had never done one before (my wife does a mean salt-encrusted prime rib and I’ve been wanting to try my smoking prowess on one). It was about 7lbs and I rubbed it down with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Fired up the WSM and threw in some hickory and a few smaller pieces of apple while working outside. I was shooting for medium rare so I pulled it off at 125 and let it rest with some loose foil on top.

View attachment 492257

My wife started cutting it up while I was cleaning up and we had my son, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law over for dinner. The compliments rolled in as we started eating. I was happy with my first try but like to try to get a little more crust on the outside. Smoked prime rib is definitely worth it...my wife said this may be the new Christmas meal. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 492258

View attachment 492259
Apple is nice to blend in on a cook like this. It throws a lot of mild smoke. It works as a great carrier for something like hickory or pecan. Nicely done. I'm jealous.

Thats the only way I do PR anymore. Traeger PR rub, roll it into a cylinder and tie it up, slide some fresh rosemary sprigs under the twine and smoke with cherry until around 100* then pull and reverse sear on the weber for a nice crust until around 120*. Pull and rest.

Making me hungry. For a nice crust, I recommend removing roast from smoker when 5-10 degrees below target temperature and let rest for 20-30 minutes tented. Then reverse sear over hot coals for 45 +/- seconds on each side. No rest is needed after searing. And I agree with the suggestion to mix in a little apple wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky