1st run of sausage on the bronco, Disco/Pops head to head, and stick experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike1ranger

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Northern MN
I've been playing with the new bronco for a couple weeks now trying find the sweet spot for smoking sausage. Dry run with the snake method seemed to be dialed in and so this weekend was go time.

I had 20 lbs of venison/pork butt ground and ready to go.

First up was summer sausage via Disco. This guy has it figured out. His summer sausage recipe is absolutely great.

Snake method on the bronco full of meat proved to be a big pain. Unlike the dry runs, temp control was nearly impossible so after a few hours I went for a different method and with meat hanging it kinda was sink or swim. But it worked...fill charcoal tray with briquettes 2 deep, lit 12 coals and placed in the middle and then just dialed it in with the dampers. Worked well and finished in hot water bath.

Second up was a head to head breakfast sausage with Pops exact recipe and Disco's, which I believe is his variation of Pops. Well, the verdict was a split vote of 2 to 2. Which really is a good thing because both are frickin' amazing breakfast sausage. These guys are both genius and generous for sharing their sausage methods and recipes. THANK YOU!

3rd sausage was just a brainstorm and I figured would be boom or bust. Never had done sticks and with things on the Bronco getting figured out, and with some breakfast sausage already mixed up, I decided to add cure to 2 lbs, stuff into sheep casings and smoke it as sticks. Smoked breakfast snack sticks sounded good. Threw in some of my homemade maple syrup, a little more heat by way of red pepper flakes, stuffed and smoked.

The verdict on smoked breakfast snack sticks: just ok at best. I think it's the sage that doesn't go well with this option. But, with a 16 yr old boy with his buddies that like to eat, they'll be taken care of. Live and learn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky