1st pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
I am looking at pellet smoker/grills. I have looked at the OK Joe's DLX, OK Joe's 900, Pit Boss 820 and a Big Horn XL. I was leaning toward the OK Joe's 900, but found the DLX cheaper. I know that smoker brands are like Chevys and Fords. Some like one better than the other. Please keep that non-sense to yourself. Are there solid reasons to go with one of these over the other? Thanks.

You'll probably enjoy any of those smokers. The ok Joe's pellet smokers look nice to me. Small hoppers. My brother has the pitboss 820 pro and loves it. And I have a pitboss Austin xl and love it. So in that group of smokers you mentioned it's really gonna come down to what you like best

Decide on your budget and then add $200 more to it so you don't have any remorse about your decision, most of them cook good but the more you can spend you will hopefully get more dependability ,good luck trying to pick 1, I wanted a Rectec but budget was PitBoss, I am not sure I would have been any happier the the RT, my PB has been really good to me in the 2.5 years we been together.

A few more bells and whistles on the $pendy ones, but in the end you wouldn't be able to tell the difference of something cooked on a $400 Pit Boss or a $1500 Yoder.
Best of luck on your decision and remember, we like pics :emoji_wink:

Reactions: spudthegreater
I agree with the above statements. If you can afford an expensive pellet grill then buy it. But my Budget was under 500, so my first pellet smoker ended up being the Pit Boss 820XL. treager was a model I was looking at but for the same size as the 820 pit boss it would cost 1100 bucks. From everything ive been reading, that cost just wasn't justified. Treager 3 year warranty, Pit Boss 5 year. Pit Boss has an adjustable sear plate, treager doesn't. I ended up getting my 820 for just over $400 at Menards with the 11% rebate. I had to pull the trigger if I ever wanted to pellet smoke anything this summer. So far the pit poss has been good. No bells and whistles, but it is functional. Good luck.

Reactions: Steff3
My choice would be a WSM with a BBQ Guru setup. Same kind of deal, you don’t have to babysit it, but with the WSM you get that charcoal wood flavor.
And not too expensive. I’ve had a 22 WSM with a Guru for 7 or 8 years & it still works like new. Haven’t even had to replace a probe wire.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky