1st pair of Shoulders, qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mole177

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
well. started the ECB around 12:48am PST.  Am I crazy for starting at this hour ??

2513d024_SDC10577.jpg

9753ce3a_SDC10583.jpg

will post more pics @ sunrise.

nothing like the smell of piggy in the morning!

I don't think you're crazy for starting early.  Looking forward to some more pics.

If i could stay up, i would do my meat overnight. And not spend the whole day standing by the smoker.

But hey its worth it. You can sleep when your dead right?

Oh and those shoulders look good!

Last edited:
I have never done an over night smoke I usually just get up really early and start it but then again I have never had to get the meat done by early afternoon either. We will usually eat later in the evening. Hope those butts turn out great for you and also I hope you were able to catch a few cat naps without temps going crazy on you. Should be some good sun rise pics to come.

well... I made it through the night. It was not that bad... but not sure how the rest of the day will turn out.

temp dipped down to 200f, ugh...after a quick shuffle of the coals, back up to 228f.

it's been in for 6 hrs now...

I'll probe it in an hour.

I just started spritzing cap morgan and apple juice.

oh and surprising they're both at the same temp, 151f, time being.

update- looks like I hit the plateau point at 149-151f...

9hrs in

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well you stayed up or not.??? I can't seem to sleep when there is fire just under my bedroom window. It looks like you aren't far away from pulling to me. Your butts looks pretty darn good from here.

Looks good so far... yeah i have done a few smokes where i wake up at 3 or 4am to put them on, but i just cant get back to sleep for more than 2-5min at a time... just way to nervous that a fire will start...

yes, I did pull an all nighter.

Not too worried about fire unless the shoulders char up, my backyard is all concrete and if it gets to that point, garden hose is within reach.

I had to refuel several times over the night, 1/2 chimney for refuels, used the rest of the bag, approx 17lbs left. ECB's are hungry for fuel.

and will look like I need to dip into a new bag of fuel. (kings original brisquettes)

Man those butts look good! I do the same, go to bed early, get up at 1:00 AM fire up the WSM, and pop open a Molson. That's the way to start the day. Beer & BBQ.

Finished.

Total time cooking: 17.XX hrs.

eating: 15 mins.

SNOOZE TIME!

omg... will i ever do this again? not in the near future, unless i have a co-pilot.

Used grape wood. 3 cups of apple juice in the pan and several water refills into the pan.

refueled several times. lost count. i have a full charcoal pan of ash, very small pebbles to what used to resemble brisquettes. maybe a bag and a quarter, so maybe 25 lbs total ?

6e3fe6e0_SDC10592.jpg

d3c909bf_SDC10596.jpg

0670dc1a_SDC10598.jpg

0111fe74_SDC10595.jpg

WOW looks awesome,great job i'm sure you will do it again once you get some sleep and finally sit down to eat some!!!How did you like the grape wood??I have only used it once and awhile.

Great job - I do all nite smokes a lot but I have a SmokinTex electric unit and use the AMNS for my smoke source - Next time give yourself a couple of extra hours and put the foiled butts into an empty ice chest wrapped in towels so the juices redistribute. It really helps my smokes

Looks great, nice smoke ring & bark...  All Night Smokes, that is what I like about my MES, you don't have to baby sit it all night...

Great job - I do all nite smokes a lot but I have a SmokinTex electric unit and use the AMNS for my smoke source - Next time give yourself a couple of extra hours and put the foiled butts into an empty ice chest wrapped in towels so the juices redistribute. It really helps my smokes

The foiled butt, ice chest & towels in my opinion is THE best kept secret in smoking and cooking large cuts of meat.  I've been able to keep butts foiled for upwards of 6 hours and they were still piping hot.  It really helps plan your smokes when you have such a huge buffer after the finish line.

Great looking pulled pork, I can never seems to get my bark to be that dark and incredible looking. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky