1ST GO AT RE-FRIED BEANS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Raining hard all day, so smoking the HAWG is a no go. Going to cook Fajitas tomorrow night. Cooked re-fried beans for the first time today. They taste authentic and the wife agreed. Flank steak in the fridge marinating overnight and I plan to make Guacamole from scratch tomorrow as well. We love Mexican food and I have decided to learn how to cook it.
PICS IF FINAL PRODUCT BELOW

Re-Fried Beans

1 pound dried pinto beans (3 cups dried) *yields 5 cups or so once cooked*

1 large yellow onion, cut into 4 large chunks

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

water, enough to cover the beans at least 2 inches

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon minced garlic

3 jalapenos, diced (I include the seeds)

Instructions

1. In a large pot, add in the dried pinto beans, yellow onions, dried oregano, salt and black pepper. Add in enough water to cover the beans at least two inches or more.

2. On high heat, bring contents to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Taste and season with more salt if necessary.

3. Drain beans, reserving the bean water. You should have about 5 cups of cooked beans.

4. In a large black iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and jalapenos and cook, stirring occasionally, until jalapenos begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes.

5. Add in 5 cups of the beans and cook for 2 more minutes. Add 2 cups of the reserved bean water and mash the beans to form a chunky paste using a bean masher or a potato masher. If you like your beans completely pureed, you could use a handheld or regular blender instead of a bean masher.

6. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring until the beans reach your desired consistency. Add more water one tablespoon at a time if you like your re-fried beans thinner. Taste, season with salt if necessary and serve.
BELL PEPPERS AND ONIONS.jpg
COOKIN DOWN.jpg
Guac.jpg
PRE FLOUR TORTILLAS.jpg
ITS ON .jpg
JUST RIGHT.jpg
1ST REFRIED BEANS.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious, nice job.

So simple to make and yet so uncommon to most Norte Americanos.
I like them thick so I strain my beans well and let them cook down, if they get too thick its easy to just add a little broth from the pot.
I love to do mine with chorizo too, add some chopped onion and chiles to it and with tortillas you've a complete meal.

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks real good from here. I like all my beans really thick baked, refried it doesn't matter. The thicker the better.

Point for sure
Chris

Looking good to me, wish I was 40 years younger, think I would like to spend 2-3 year in every ethnic kitchen around and learn to cook like it should be done. also wish I wasn't diabetic cause CR puts out some awesome food I shouldn't eat but want so bad lmao

Reactions: kawboy

I like them thick so I strain my beans well and let them cook down, if they get too thick its easy to just add a little broth from the pot.
I love to do mine with chorizo too, add some chopped onion and chiles to it and with tortillas you've a complete meal.

And a very long WINDY night for your Wife!!!...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
Me Too lol,I think all great cooks may be Diabetic lol ,its a shame to be old and love some thing and cant start life over lol

Lol the metformin makes enuf gas I aint telling on the wife

Yep. I strained my beans and saved the liquid. Added 2 cups of liquid and cooked them in the black iron and mashed them to the consistency that I like. Will add the broth when I re heat them tomorrow. Thanks for the nice comments.

Looking good to me, wish I was 40 years younger, think I would like to spend 2-3 year in every ethnic kitchen around and learn to cook like it should be done. also wish I wasn't diabetic cause CR puts out some awesome food I shouldn't eat but want so bad lmao
Really like Mexican and Cajun food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky