1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Statesboro Ga
Our local Police Foundation is having its 1st annual cook-off this weekend and we have officially entered a comp in the backyard division. 25 teams as of yesterday but they also have a First Responder and restaurant divisions so not sure how many in each group.
My BIL, SIL and boys will be helping me with the event. Any type of cooker is allowed so we are taking my MBGF1050 (with battery pack),
BGE and a charcoal grill.
Had to enter 4 categories to qualify for Grand/Reserve Champion .
We are in brisket, chicken, pp and ribs.
It's already turned into alot of work but planning a good time and gaining some experience plus knowledge.
It's not KCBS and will have 8 local judges so after reading other posts from thirdeye thirdeye and talking with a previous local judge,
planning to keep the regional flavors in mind.
I've been running test cooks and pretty well set on tastes and times for everything but brisket. The earliest I could put the meat on is probably around 7pm Friday with turn in at 2:45-3:00 Saturday. 12-14 lb prime and would like a 4 hr rest.
Cook at 275-300 OR separate the point and flat and run at 250 ? Planning on using foil/paper boat method around 170 IT ( or good color) to preserve the bark and speed up the process !

Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated !

Keith

Good luck Keith, let us know how it turns out. As for advice, I don't really have any except maybe cook how you like things to taste...

Reactions: 912smoker
What's your plan with turn in boxes? Also how do you plan on presenting each meat? Talking about slices, burnt ends for brisket. Pulled, plugs, or slices of money muscle for butt.......etc with chicken and ribs

Hey Jake the rules said NOTHING in the box but the meat. I guess we'll find out at the team meeting tomorrow if a garnish is allowed for presentation.
Plan to slice the brisket and turn in burnt ins.
Slice the money muscle and ppulled pork. Local judge said the plugs and tunes alone hasn't scored well in the past.
Doing chicken tights with a comp cut/cook and injection of creole butter .

Good luck Keith, let us know how it turns out. As for advice, I don't really have any except maybe cook how you like things to taste...
Thanks GS I've had friends and family judge for the last 3 weekends and going with the popular opinion 😃

Keith

Thanks Jake yep that's the tricky part. I'm doing 2 butts so hopefully I can get one separated, wrapped and cooked close to right

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Good luck Keith. Gonna be a good time and get great experience.
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks Mike ! I thinks the boys are more excited than I am .
It will be our 1st time all cooking together as the oldest has been in the Navy for 11yrs and recently out and my SIL and daughter live in ATL area.
Just hoping to have a good showing, family time and gain some knowledge.

Keith

Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks Mike ! I thinks the boys are more excited than I am .
It will be our 1st time all cooking together as the oldest has been in the Navy for 11yrs and recently out and my SIL and daughter live in ATL area.
Just hoping to have a good showing, family time and gain some knowledge.

Keith
Sounds great! A few years ago we were going to enter something similar in Gainesville, but I only had the MES 40 and a Pellet smoker. and they said no electric smokers. Both required electricity. My Son and I were going to do it.

Sounds great! A few years ago we were going to enter something similar in Gainesville, but I only had the MES 40 and a Pellet smoker. and they said no electric smokers. Both required electricity. My Son and I were going to do it.
Not sure how much the pellet smoker draws, you could power it with a battery be pack? Depends on if they say no electric because they don't have any at the location.

Local or celebrity judges can be a hit or miss deal. Hopefully someone will give them some sort of guidelines.

For the pork (if they don't have a minimum weight requirement) I'd cook some Coppa end roasts, which is the money muscle and some adjacent muscles. Then just grind the remainder of the butts or make sausage.
HPfZlMa.jpg
The slices are wonderful and are very tender when cooked to 195°-ish and probe tender.
vTUiLqK.jpg
Here an 'Old Dave' turn-in box. Two rows of slices would make an awesome box.
15t1GFj.jpg

For brisket flats, I like to trim them 7" wide, then trim off the square corners, a chamfer if you will. This will allow the slices to fit the box, and you won't have to trim to fit.
CfY5Ll4.jpg
pfreXMW.jpg
fh0JWFA.jpg

I was glad they are allowing all types here. I reserved and RV spot to have water and electricity (no RV here )

Keith

Local or celebrity judges can be a hit or miss deal. Hopefully someone will give them some sort of guidelines.

For the pork (if they don't have a minimum weight requirement) I'd cook some Coppa end roasts, which is the money muscle and some adjacent muscles. Then just grind the remainder of the butts or make sausage.
View attachment 632249
The slices are wonderful and are very tender when cooked to 195°-ish and probe tender.
View attachment 632250
Here an 'Old Dave' turn-in box. Two rows of slices would make an awesome box.
View attachment 632251

For brisket flats, I like to trim them 7" wide, then trim off the square corners, a chamfer if you will. This will allow the slices to fit the box, and you won't have to trim to fit.
View attachment 632252
View attachment 632253
View attachment 632254
Thanks 3 and those looking amazing!
Probably don't have time to get those in but will definitely use them if there's a next time !
I'm using the cooks from Montana Outlaws as a guide and that also how they trim and cook the brisket

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky