1st cold smoked cheese!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Well we got a 59°f outside temp tonight so I decided to try to cold smoke a block of Colby jack cheese.

I got a grill box temp of 60.1°f soo hopefully it turns out. I made sure to handle cheese with food grade gloves to prevent hand oils & such of.

This is 2 hrs in on apple wood pellets in a 6" smoker tube. Think I will go 4 hours, then let rest & wrap in parchment paper for 2days & then vac seal for 4 weeks.

Lmao if I can wait that long. 🤣😂🤣
1000000233.jpg

Interesting idea about the chips for cookies. As for the cheese I find a temp of around 70*F works well. Also cutting the cheese into smaller pieces helps with all round penitration. 1-2 hours of smoke depending on how much you like the smoke taste. Letting it mellow out for a month also helps.

Reactions: DieselTech
How did the cheese turn out? The chips are a cool idea
Well I had 1 Lil mistake, I had a couple drops of smoker condensation darken a couple spots on my block of cheese.

The cheese did not take on much color, but at 4.5hours on a smoke, it smells real smoky Now I gotta wait, to find out.

Interesting idea about the chips for cookies. As for the cheese I find a temp of around 70*F works well. Also cutting the cheese into smaller pieces helps with all round penitration. 1-2 hours of smoke depending on how much you like the smoke taste. Letting it mellow out for a month also helps.
Yeah I wrapped it in parchment paper, then after 2 days, I will vacuum seal it. To help it mellow out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky