1st Cen Tex Que & Brew Event Is In The Books And It Was Epic (Insane Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well, it's done and was a huge success, but not without a bit of improvising. Fair warning though, this is going to be a LONG post....possibly one of the longest in the history of SMF :-) Please remember that this was a multi-day event with multiple meals being displayed. It'll take you a lot less time to read it though than it's going to take me to post it, I can promise you that. I just want to document the entire experience. This event was about more than just the food. It was the personification of everything I have come to love about this forum: the friendships, the camaraderie, the sharing of ideas and good times.

A few days before the event, Maner @bigdaddy4760 had a family emergency arise and he was not going to be able to attend. He was planning to bring his big trailer rig and a bunch of food to cook. When his situation unfortunately changed, Zach and I got our heads together to figure out how to fill the gaps. He took care of preparing things on his end, as did I. It was gonna all work out but I still missed not getting to meet Maner. Well, as fate would have it, Zach had a massive emergency pop at work up the day before the event was supposed to start. He was planning to do an all-night cook with brisket and pork butt on his Weber kettle grill(s). He was kept at work later than anticipated on Friday but showed up with the meat all prepped and ready to cook but had to be back to work at 6:00 Saturday morning. That ruled out him doing the overnighter. I've never used a Weber kettle....or done an over night cook for that matter. We were gonna figure it out though. Decided to use my Big Green Egg instead of the kettle grills because I was familiar with them. We had a plan and were intent on making it happen :-)

SMF members in attendance were:
tx smoker tx smoker (me and Tracy)
Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan (Zach)
@TXRick (Rick and Susan)
@woodwindricky (Ricky and Connie)
@Matt_Tex (Matt, Eriika, Ava, and Gannon)
@Thorpd01 (Doug and Sue)
@tareed94 (Taylor)
snakehead snakehead (Gerald)

We also had a few non-SMF folks there, but it was OK. There was plenty of space and more food than should be allowed by law and of course they brought a ton of fun with them.

We received a big box of promotional stuff from Piedmontese Beef. This was a
GREAT gesture....and possible an indication that I've spent way too much money with them the past couple months :-)
001.jpg

I started a big batch of Cole slaw for Friday dinner. Sadly, this is the only pic I got but suffice it to say, this is a BIG batch of slaw
002.jpg

Things kicked off Friday about 1:00 p.m. with the arrival of Doug and Sue....and boy did they arrive in style!!
003.jpg

Shortly after that Gerald showed up with a bunch of his world famous salsa. It really is world famous and has won numerous awards. It's great stuff!!
004.jpg

Then came Doug and Sue. They brought several jars of brandied and candied plums and peaches. These could be the death of me!! Wait till you see what comes later
005.jpg

Next were Ricky and Connie with their 4-burner flat top and prep table
006.jpg

007.jpg

I got the margarita table set up
009.jpg

A keg of home brewed Irish Red Ale iced down. This was Zach's favorite...but that's only going to last till tomorrow when he tries a different one
010.jpg

Folks starting to mingle
011.jpg

Two more kegs on tap in my keg-o-rater that's set up in the laundry room
012.jpg

The cops didn't buy this one unfortunately
013.jpg

Got some chips and Gerald's salsa out to start with
014.jpg

A bowl full of Hickory smoked beef jerky that Ricky made
015.jpg

I'm finally getting a moment to get my first (of several) quarts of the Irish Red Ale
016.jpg

Folks starting to enjoy the pool. It's HOT!! Temps well into triple digits
021.jpg

Gerald and Ricky sharing an intimate moment
024.jpg

Zach finally here and enjoying an ice cold beer
026.jpg

Got the BGE fired up and on goes the brisket and pork butt
027.jpg

Zach's hands all nasty from playing with his meat
030.jpg

Got a platter full of stuff sliced up for the burgers that will be Friday dinner
031.jpg

Piedmontese Beef 85% lean burgers ground from Tenderloin, smoked cheddar cheese, and Buckboard bacon
032.jpg

Ricky and Gerald sharing another intimate moment while cooking the BBBB. What's with these guys?? :-)
033.jpg

I love this BBBB!! It makes the best bacon addition for a burger you'll ever have
035.jpg

Somebody about to lose some digits trying to sneak a piece of the Buckboard Bacon
037.jpg

Burgers on
040.jpg

Flipped and cheese melting
041.jpg

Dinner spread all laid out. That's my Cole slaw in the white bowl that never got documented.
043.jpg

Susan's amazing beans. These are by far the best beans I've ever eaten and are mandatory at every cookout :-) Thank you Susan!!
044.jpg

Corn and Poblano casserole that Matt made. Can't begin to tell you how good this is.
045.jpg

My dinner plate with the ultimate bacon cheese burger. OMG!! They were so good. I heard many people state that these were the best burgers they have ever had
046.jpg

Folks chowing down
049.jpg

Pool party going well into the night
051.jpg

This is it for Friday. Need to go to another post for Saturday, which is the main event. Too many attachments and they shut me down :-)

See y'all again shortly!!
Robert

Last edited:
Thanks to all! And a huge shout out to Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ). MVP of the weekend! Like he said we had some, well, a lot of last minute detours pop up and he carried it with style. Could not have pulled it off without him!

giphy.gif

Reactions: negolien
Awesome Post, Robert !!
You guys sure had a Great Shindig!!
Thanks for sharing all the outstanding Pics!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Now I gotta go see the Saturday Addition!!

Bear

We had so much food that I didn't get a chance to make my blackened fish, so I made some for dinner during the week. It came out really good. I cook it in my outside kitchen on my natural gas burner otherwise it sets the fire alarms off, haha! The only problem is, my comal got so hot this time that it literally melted the black plastic igniter switch! Doesn't help much when you're in the middle of tying to sell your house... :(

IMG_0714.jpeg

IMG_0715.jpeg

We had so much food that I didn't get a chance to make my blackened fish, so I made some for dinner during the week.

That fish looks amazing. We eat a lot of blackened fish and yours looks perfect. It's a shame that everyone else didn't get any. Guess you'll have to suffer through it all alone... unless you have too much. In that case we'll volunteer to help you out!

That fish looks amazing. We eat a lot of blackened fish and yours looks perfect. It's a shame that everyone else didn't get any. Guess you'll have to suffer through it all alone... unless you have too much. In that case we'll volunteer to help you out!

I gotta agree with Doc---That fish looks Perfect!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: snakehead
"That fish looks amazing. We eat a lot of blackened fish and yours looks perfect. It's a shame that everyone else didn't get any. Guess you'll have to suffer through it all alone... unless you have too much. In that case we'll volunteer to help you out!"

Oh...we have gotten to eat it before.This isn't the first time he has attempted (or completed) cooking it at one of our events. Not long ago he did some for a large gathering we did and it was a HUGE hit. I tend to be the last one through the serving line when it's time to eat and one of our guests had to hide a piece of the fish for me. If they hadn't it would have all been gone by the time I got there. Here are a couple of pics of some tilapia I did "Gerald Style" one weekend when Tracy was out of town

On a cast iron griddle, lots of butter, at 1100* over the sear burner on the grill
015.jpg

Dinner: Tilapia, BBQ shrimp, parsley potatoes, and grilled asparagus topped with Parmesan cheese (this pic was also posted in the Day 2 thread)
018.jpg

It's really good stuff folks!!
Robert

"That fish looks amazing. We eat a lot of blackened fish and yours looks perfect. It's a shame that everyone else didn't get any. Guess you'll have to suffer through it all alone... unless you have too much. In that case we'll volunteer to help you out!"

Oh...we have gotten to eat it before.This isn't the first time he has attempted (or completed) cooking it at one of our events. Not long ago he did some for a large gathering we did and it was a HUGE hit. I tend to be the last one through the serving line when it's time to eat and one of our guests had to hide a piece of the fish for me. If they hadn't it would have all been gone by the time I got there. Here are a couple of pics of some tilapia I did "Gerald Style" one weekend when Tracy was out of town

On a cast iron griddle, lots of butter, at 1100* over the sear burner on the grill
View attachment 403369

Dinner: Tilapia, BBQ shrimp, parsley potatoes, and grilled asparagus topped with Parmesan cheese (this pic was also posted in the Day 2 thread)
View attachment 403370

Robert

Yup!!
That's the kinda plate the Bear likes when Mrs Bear is away, because of her dislike of Fish. Awesome Shrimp & Fish!! Yuuuummm......!!!!
Like.

Bear

"Yup!!
That's the kinda plate the Bear likes when Mrs Bear is away, because of her dislike of Fish. Awesome Shrimp & Fish!! Yuuuummm......!!!!"

Once again sir, thank you for the kind words. Being that you're the king of sammies, especially with left-overs, here's one that you may get a kick out of. The meal posted above was the first night Tracy was out of town. Here is the second night. I did a blackened Tilapia Po Boy with more spicy shrimp, and homemade tartar sauce.

Got the shrimp going
Tilapia Po Boy 002.jpg

Fish in another pan with the same blackening season
Tilapia Po Boy 003.jpg

Lay down the fish on a hoagie roll
Tilapia Po Boy 004.jpg

Provolone cheese
Tilapia Po Boy 005.jpg

Fresh 'maters
Tilapia Po Boy 006.jpg

Lettuce
Tilapia Po Boy 007.jpg

Tartar sauce. A bit sloppy but it sure was good :-)
Tilapia Po Boy 008.jpg

Dinner is served!! Added some chips and a piggle to finish it off
Tilapia Po Boy 010.jpg

This doesn't stack up to some of the amazing sammies I've seen you post, but it was noteworthy.

Robert

Wow!!
That stacks up pretty Darn good in my Book!!
I'd be all over that plate in a hurry!!
Awesome!
Like.

Bear

View attachment 403369

View attachment 403370

Robert

Looks yummy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky