1st Cen Tex Que & Brew Event Day Two: The Main Event (More Insane Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Robert! The smokies with the garlic infusing in them was fantastic. I've had Okra in soups and stews. But never whole/raw. Keep us informed when/if you do that. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on that. My next long weekend off I'm going to do a dozen or two eggs in the brine.

"great idea Robert! I love picked okra hmmmm I see me make a brine in the near future :emoji_sunglasses:"

Well Ricky C, this one is for you my friend...as well as another tribute to Steve. I managed to sneak in time yesterday afternoon to get a couple more jars of goodies going. First, Tracy loves sliced pickles on some of her sammies as well as her hamburgers. She's been raving about the cucumber spears I did a couple weeks ago (which by the way continue to get better!!) so thought I'd do a jar of the sliced ones for her. I also stopped and picked up a couple bags of fresh okra yesterday. The sliced cukes I did in the brine I made up for the spears with the addition of a little bit of dill added and upped the garlic by 50%. The okra was done in Steve's spicy brine.

Jar of sliced cukes and some red onion
039.jpg

Brine simmering
040.jpg

Okra and white onion
041.jpg

Brine added to the sliced cukes. you can really see the garlic in this stuff!!
044.jpg

Brine for the okra
045.jpg

Brine in the jar. god I love the color of that stuff!!
047.jpg

Both jars side by side
046.jpg

Well, it's time to start the waiting game again. I snipped both ends off the okra so hopefully the brine will get through the entire piece versus just soaking in from the outside. I'll try one in a few days and let y'all know how its coming along. Today I'm doing more eggs and a couple more jars of the cucumber spears when Tracy gets home from the grocery store. I managed to use up all the vinegar yesterday and it's on her list of things to pick up.

See y'all in a couple days,
Robert

If you want a real robust pickle use 2 parts Cider vinegar to 1 part water. Bring that to a boil and add to the cukes along with your spices. I like them that way as well. Though, my wife doesn't. It does have some pucker factor. Are you using Alum?

I think I'd like them with your vinegar to water ratio but as with your wife, mine wouldn't like them. I do not use alum...whatever the heck that is :-) After the first batch of cucumber spears I did couple weeks ago, here is the revised recipe:

4 large cucumbers cut into spears
½ large white onion chopped
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
3 T minced garlic
1 ½ t black pepper
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t salt
½ t dill
½ t Trinidad Scorpion Pepper infused sea salt
¼ t cayenne

Add all ingredients to saucepan and simmer 15 to 20 minutes till well blended. Add to cucumbers in a glass jar that can be sealed.

Just finished putting together 2 more jars of the spears with the revised recipe. Don't know why I didn't think about the dill when I first did these.Oh well, they are still good but these will be better...more garlic and the dill should nail it!!

Robert

Alum is used to keep the pickles nice and crunchy. With me, I put the dry spices in the jar. Then the cucumbers. Then add the boiling vinegar and water. I'm going to up the amount of the Trinidad Scorpion Pepper infused sea salt. I want a touch more bang then I have with this batch.

"great idea Robert! I love picked okra hmmmm I see me make a brine in the near future :emoji_sunglasses:"

Well Ricky C, this one is for you my friend...as well as another tribute to Steve. I managed to sneak in time yesterday afternoon to get a couple more jars of goodies going. First, Tracy loves sliced pickles on some of her sammies as well as her hamburgers. She's been raving about the cucumber spears I did a couple weeks ago (which by the way continue to get better!!) so thought I'd do a jar of the sliced ones for her. I also stopped and picked up a couple bags of fresh okra yesterday. The sliced cukes I did in the brine I made up for the spears with the addition of a little bit of dill added and upped the garlic by 50%. The okra was done in Steve's spicy brine.

Jar of sliced cukes and some red onion
View attachment 404480

Brine simmering
View attachment 404481

Okra and white onion
View attachment 404482

Brine added to the sliced cukes. you can really see the garlic in this stuff!!
View attachment 404483

Brine for the okra
View attachment 404484

Brine in the jar. god I love the color of that stuff!!
View attachment 404485
Both jars side by side
View attachment 404486

Well, it's time to start the waiting game again. I snipped both ends off the okra so hopefully the brine will get through the entire piece versus just soaking in from the outside. I'll try one in a few days and let y'all know how its coming along. Today I'm doing more eggs and a couple more jars of the cucumber spears when Tracy gets home from the grocery store. I managed to use up all the vinegar yesterday and it's on her list of things to pick up.

See y'all in a couple days,
Robert

Looks good!

So I have a question for you Steve. I ordered some Alum yesterday that's supposed to deliver today. I put a jar of sliced cukes into the brine on Friday and 2 jars of spears yesterday. Is it worth it to add the alum to those batches when it gets here? Never used it before and have no idea what it's characteristics are.

Robert

So I have a question for you Steve. I ordered some Alum yesterday that's supposed to deliver today. I put a jar of sliced cukes into the brine on Friday and 2 jars of spears yesterday. Is it worth it to add the alum to those batches when it gets here? Never used it before and have no idea what it's characteristics are.

Robert

I would say no. Let those go. I put the Alum at the end in the jar. Just put the cukes, then spices in the jar. Add the hot brine. Then the alum. Put the lid on and shake slightly to make sure all the spices are mixed in. Then either vacuum seal. Or cap and let them rest in the fridge. Another tip I learned was to soak the cukes in ice water for a few hours first.

Reactions: snakehead

Robert
You can also salt the cucumbers down the night before in the refig and the salt will draw a lot of the moisture from them, then lightly rinse off and pat dry.

You are absolutely correct!! Well stated and I couldn't agree more. I've always felt that way but my time with SMF has elevated my perception of what an event like this is really all about.

GBWhatsApp Apk

Last edited:
You can also salt the cucumbers down the night before in the refig and the salt will draw a lot of the moisture from them, then lightly rinse off and pat dry.

I always do that with Eggplant, after slicing---Draws the Bitterness out too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky