1st Butt Since Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
Haven't started a thread in a while and thought I'd try posting with tapatalk app on my iphone.

Haven't had much time to smoke due to some major renovations ongoing. Two baths and the master bd stripped/gutted and complete with only a couple accesories left to install. I've only got in a couple rib smokes and have been starving for some good pulled pork!

Had an 8 lb butt in the freezer that I prepped (injected, rubbed with EVO and rub). I know many don't think a butt needs injecting and I was deadly against it as well until recently. It's not so much that it's needed for moisture, it's not. I've liked it for the affect it seems to have on the meat texture and the enhanced flavoring. I don't think it actually changes the taste anymore than putting rub on etc, of course depending on what your injecting, it could.

Ok, not to continue justifying injecting! LOL Follow is the recipe;

3/4 C Apple Juice
1/2 C Water
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Salt
2 Tbs Worcestershire

Mix in small pan, not quite to a boil, stirring well. Once cooled I put it in the fridge a few hours to bring it down to 40*. I prepped this yesterday morning.

Last night I trimmed a little of the fat, not much because I believe fat equals flavor when cooking. Rubbed with EVO and covered with rub. Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Once wrapped, inject your mix and into the fridge overnight. Make sure you put it on a platter or something or it will flood the fridge! lol

Fired up the UDS about 7 this a.m. with a little breeze and a chilly 28* temp, but we're going to the low 60's today!! YAY While the coals and hickory were settling down, about an hour, I got the butt out of the fridge and touched up with more rub.

a6890df9-1687-90b8.jpg

Runnig at 225* I began spritzing with a 2 to 1 mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar after 2 hours and every hour thereafter. At the 4 hour mark I probed with my new ET73 probe and had an IT of 143*. Things are looking great!

Here's my clean up team licking the grass from where I'd sprayed the rack with pam. LOL They get so excited when they smell the smoker!
a6890df9-1791-901a.jpg

Running pretty steady at 225*! The UDS just amazes me and has made the GOSM become my backup smoker.
a6890df9-17f7-1429.jpg

Sorry for being long winded but it's been a while and I really wanted to give tapatalk a workout. More later

Last edited:
Looks like we may have to use double spacing for paragraphs to get spacing and there's no edit option.

Didn't really epxect the edit option and seems to be a great app that I'll give 5 stars.

EDIT: Ok, now that I'm back on the laptop I see there's no need to double space, the line breaks show up on fine on the computer. Great app!

Last edited:
Sounds like that PP your craving is doing just fine. Looking forward to the finish as I'm sure you are too.

She's rolling right along and smelling incrdibly good! Hit 165* at exactly 6 1/2 hours into the foil with a final spritz.

I almost hated to ruin the bark by wrapping it in foil. It'll still be great, just softer. haha
a6890df9-3415-6342.jpg

If y'all don't have a pair of these you have to get a pair! $11 with free shipping and I haven't burnt my hands again pulling meat off the grate!
a6890df9-3533-caec.jpg

Hey dean, glad to see ya back and smokin. That butt Looks schweeeeeet.

Hey Dean, welcome back man - great looking hunk of goodness. Awesome bark  

Thanks all!  Well, we made it to 200° IT right at the 10 1/2 hour mark and double wrapped in towels and into the cooler for an hour.  

I couldn't stop eating the bark as I was pulling, this turned out being one of the better butts I've done and was well worth the wait.  Only hit a mild stall at about 172° IT which wasn't bad and I still came in under my planned 12 hour mark.

I ended up using my regular camera for these shots because for some reason I was experiencing a time out error with the phone app.  Still overall I give tapatalk high marks because it is a great app for being able to read the forum when on the go. Sad, I know! LOL

48f18bcc_IMG_3132.jpg

1b5deab8_IMG_3134.jpg

The sammie shot wasn't so great so here's my side dish! lol

4a52999f_IMG_3137.jpg

That sure looks good!  I'm new to smoking and haven't had a chance to do a butt yet but I think that is next on my list!  Seeing yours convinced me that it's time!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks to you all for the kind words!  

Steve, I was just going to spray it black and be done but my adult son wanted to show me his paint can talents...I didn't want to know how he perfected his rattle can skills..lol

hmcm - definitely have to move a butt up to the top of the list.  It's my favorite and there are a couple of finishing sauce recipes that can really put it over the top!

"I saw my smoker and I want it painted black" should have been one of Mick's lines. I'm sure all of his talents were cultivated on a legal canvas lol.

Thanks to you all for the kind words!  

Steve, I was just going to spray it black and be done but my adult son wanted to show me his paint can talents...I didn't want to know how he perfected his rattle can skills..lol

hmcm - definitely have to move a butt up to the top of the list.  It's my favorite and there are a couple of finishing sauce recipes that can really put it over the top!

Awesome looking butt. I think I can smell it from here! I have always injected mine too. I know a lot of folks on here say its not needed, but I prefer to do it anyways. I have never foiled mine on the smoker either, I know many do, but I really like to keep the bark from getting soft. Either way that looks great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky