1st build - Reverse Flow Offset, vertical cooking chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bellmj01

Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I apologize for the length lol there was alot of work that happened to this smoker.

So I decided to build my own smoker. I have an electric vertical smoker I use frequently and I like the racking system and the door. So I decided vertical would be the way to go. I was going to do an offset box originally then I spoke to my uncle and he mentioned reverse flow. So I did some googling (came across this forum) and I liked the idea of that.

I have searched and searched for something like the smoker I envisioned and found one sorta like it... but not quite. So I hoping this will provide some insight to someone like me in the future, or maybe there is a reason you cant find a smoker like this and I wasted some time and money lol (I will soon find out).

So after tinkering around in 3d CAD, I decided I wanted the build (with the exception of the firebox) to fit onto 1 4'x 8' sheet of 1/8in metal. We have a CNC plasma cutter that takes 4x 8 sheets and running a program and cutting it all at once seems practical. Originally I was going to use 3/16 metal for everything but the weight and building at home made it impractical.

So for the design, the cooking chamber is going to be 30 tall x 19 deep x 24 wide with two doors. this unit will takes 3 standard oven racks 18x24 for the meat to set on.

As for the firebox, I had some 3/16 plate and fabricated the large smoke box below. (18x18x24). After I found calculations for it, it is over sized but I can deal with that vs being too small.

So once I began building I asked my daughter about a name for the smoker, after she provided several options we decided to name the Smoker MEEF (Meat + Beef)

So after cutting out the plates and a ton of cleaning the fun began with fabrication the cooking chamber.

(If i did this again would put in the angle iron for the racks on the sides prior to tacking sides together. The sides will distort after welding and clamping the angle in the back is impossible)

I decided to use the reverse flow plate also as a grease drain which i will plumb a ball vale on into the future.

So the rest was welding the corners few hours of work there.... then the front was added

and a grease rail to lead to the drain pipe and the rails for the oven racks and the dual exhaust.

Now this is the part that I was unable to find a lot of information on. all i found was the chimney can be significantly shorter. The vertical cooking chamber will "act as part of the chimney" so my adjustable vent pipes are short like 6 inch in length each. Any insight on length or where to find information would be great and appreciated. All i was

Now the fun began attack the 130lb firebox to the 150 cooking chamber... took some strength was able to do it... then setting it on the ground was the real fun part. (it has to be upside down i built a stand for it that way so i can add legs and wheels on later this week)

So that is the progress I have made so far. A few hours here and there add up over the last two weeks. I am hoping to do legs and wheels this week then the last thing will be the doors. Then on to paint.

I will update the post as I continue working on this project. But in the mean time let me know your thoughts or comments.

Thanks,

Matt

Looks good so far. U should put a damper on the end of the stacks since they look really big compared to ur smoker. My smoker is bigger then that and I'm using 1 3.5" tube 1/8 wall. And don't plan on putting on a damper.

Looks good so far. U should put a damper on the end of the stacks since they look really big compared to ur smoker. My smoker is bigger then that and I'm using 1 3.5" tube 1/8 wall. And don't plan on putting on a damper.
Thanks Motolife.

Is this what you mean? In that picture above, it is hard to tell but each one of them have a damper recessed in the stack. How long was your stack?

Those stacks are 4 in OD 1/8in wall i think about 4 to 5 in long but the damper are 50% so it would be equivalent to having a 4 in pipe open all the time if needed.

Ya nice setup. I'm still building mine. I'll make it about 3.5' long most likely. I was thinking about putting mine in the side like you but one on the left and right side instead of 2 on 1 side. Better even heat flow that way for my style cooker but got lazy and stuck 1 on the back

Worked on the firebox charcoal/wood holder last night.

(Railing for box to slide on)

(Charcoal/wood box inside firebox)

I tried to upload a picture of the catches on the bottom of the box for the rail system but the file was too large. Anyways the catches allow the box to slide out and rest without falling off, so I thought this would be easier  for reloading the box with charcoal.

I have fallen a little behind on updating with pics. I will try to add more here soon. Going to try to get paint on it in a few days. Looks like a nice smoker. What thickness of material you going to use?

3/16" for cook box 3/8" for fire box. Im trying to decide between paint or powdercoat

Been a while since I've been on here, but a few observations.
I would remove the dampers from the exhaust; even fully open, they are choking it off. You want the exhaust fully open when cooking. 

Also you might want to attach vertical pipe to the exhausts. This will get the smoke up high enough so it does not blow in your face. It will also help keep the draft going when there is a breeze which could blow into your exhaust as it is now and kill your draft.

Finally, your air intake on the firebox is huge, but half of the opening is above the fire. Even with charcoal, you want the intakes to be below the grate.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: ahumadora
That is correct just finished it this weekend and seasoned it, the dampers are restricting it too much it was able to work but not like it should those will be addressed this week. I also am considering adding in a variable speed fan to assist with the air flow.

Looks like u have plenty of airflow through that door. Try a longer stack to get a better vacuum pull

Awesome job
Thanks. Still making minor tweaks to it.
Looks like u have plenty of airflow through that door. Try a longer stack to get a better vacuum pull
I ordered a pid controller and fans and intend on turning it into a automated temperature controlled unit, but i can also have it be a manual unit as well. The stuff for that is coming tonight and ill start working on that and hope to have it up for the next weekend, unfortunately the high temperature wire is not coming til june 1st. I will look into adding elbows to the stacks for when i dont use the PID

Come on, at least try and use it as a Manuel stick burner. I still think longer stack will help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky