1st Brisket w Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ackmack78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
CA
We'll see how it goes, technically the 2nd one but we don't talk about the first one. Planning on throwing this on the WSM at 6pm tonight for dinner tomorrow at 6. Shooting for 225 and wrapping in paper, may bump it up to 250 when I wake up. Plan is to do this one low and slow and the next one hot and fast to compare.
16lbs Prime from Costco Trimmed off almost 6lbs of fat but this thing was covered in fat. Beside 2 small meat chunks everything that came off was fat. I'm mostly happy w the trim, nicked the fat cap a couple more times than I'd like but it showed up with a few nicks already. I did end up removing most of the fat cap on top of the very end of the point. It was all hard fat nothing soft underneath at all. There's a knob at the end of the point in the pics but I ended up rounding that off, it had a fat vein and some cartilage running through it.
Fingers crossed but Im thinking it's gonna be good, been reading up on them long enough its time to get out there and cook one. Any constructive criticism on the trim or anything else is greatly appreciated.
20211027_105328.jpg 20211027_105339.jpg 20211027_125720.jpg 20211027_125910.jpg 20211027_130305.jpg 20211027_125651.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great trim job on a Prime grade brisket. The internal fat will keep it moist. It's good that you have a photo showing the grain direction on the flat. Start your slices from that one corner and you will be golden.

You could have taken a wedge of fat from that big kernel between the muscles, but it can be cut away later. I do like to put a chamfer on any square edge as they can burn. And those nicks on the outside face you mentioned are no big deal, but if you ever have a bigger one, just fillet some adjacent fat and fold it over to act like a band aid.

So we're wrapped and back on the smoker. I waited till it hit the 180s to wrap, the fat didn't seem rendered down all that great at 165. It cooked a little quicker than I expected and there really wasn't much of a stall. I did spritz a couple times but didn't really worry about it too much.
4 hours in some bark
20211027_223731.jpg

Ready to wrap, threw a little tallow in for fun
20211028_070904.jpg

Back on the smoker
20211028_081146.jpg

We're getting there. But not sure what to do here. Everything is butter except for the one really thick part of the flat. It's tender but definitely still has a little resistance. But I'm worried waiting for that last part to hit tender will overcook the rest. Everything else has absolutely no resistance

We're getting there. But not sure what to do here. Everything is butter except for the one really thick part of the flat. It's tender but definitely still has a little resistance. But I'm worried waiting for that last part to hit tender will overcook the rest. Everything else has absolutely no resistance
Let it ride. It's wrapped.

I let it ride till everything probed tender, got a real nice wubba out of it. I had bark on the few spots that look bare but I unwrapped it to get a peek when I was deciding whether to let it ride and the rewrap looks like it took off those pieces. But so far I'm glad I did let it ride.
3.5 hours till we eat and I get the final report. Not expecting much from the 11 year old. Shes too cool for school, last time my pulled pork was too moist and buttery. She is not thrilled now that I tell that story anytime I talk BBQ w someone. Haha :emoji_unamused::emoji_unamused:
20211028_150139.jpg 20211028_150146.jpg

Didn't get a pic of the slices. The flat ended up a little overcooked and falling apart. First cuts were a little dry and got moister as I went. Towards the pount the flat was very moist but still falling part. More of a chopping than slicing meat. The point was great. Overall a decent learning experience. The family was happy with it. Me not so much I'm looking at doing the next one already.

Last edited:
My last one came apart a little also, but I just cut up those pieces for some chili.
The cook's the hardest one to please. At least the family liked it and you're now hooked!

Didn't get a pic of the slices. The flat ended up a little overcooked and falling apart. First cuts were a little dry and got moister as I went. Towards the pount the flat was very moist but still falling part. More of a chopping than slicing meat. The point was great. Overall a decent learning experience. The family was happy with it. Me not so much I'm looking at doing the next one already.

Man you are getting there. You are making good brisket and just a few things to make GREAT brisket!

The 180F wrapping had to really kick things up a notch or 2.

As for falling apart, a longer rest time will help with that. I tightly double wrap in 2 layers of foil then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter and it holds 4-5 hours no problem.
I find that 4 hours of resting that way it slices well, 3 hours can still want to tear some as it is still too hot.

As for the first cuts a little dry, that will be from the flat where it is thinner.
Here is my post on it:

In short I trim away the thinner portion of the flat and repurpose that meat. What is left of the flat is about uniform in thickness and greatly solves the problem you describe. See here:
full-png.png

So some simple changes will help you greatly fix your issues.
Then when you have it nailed I challenge you to do an unwrapped brisket the whole time. Another game changer :D

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky