1st Brisket, HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmarkwood

Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Petaluma, CA
Started my first brisket 1.5 hours ago and I'm up to 104!!

Smoking on my traeger at about 170 or so. Seems super fast. I was planning to turn it up to 225 after about 4 hours but I'm not sure noe. Any friendly advice?

Have you tested your therms to make sure they're trustworthy?

+1 . Also, check the smoker temp with another thermometer to confirm it is close.
How big is the brisket? For a smaller brisket this does not seem unusual at all.

Relax. It's just fine.

There are three stages to meat temperatures during a long smoke on briskets and butts.
1. Initial stage: rapidly climbing temps. This is physics in action. A cold mass in a hot space will quickly absorb available heat energy in an attempt to equalize with the surrounding environment. It is normal to see the temp climb rapidly until the next stage. The meat temp will usually climb from 37F to 150-160F in 2-4 hours, depending on chamber temp.
2. Stall stage: steady, and occasionally falling temps, for a long time. Chemistry and physics start dancing together at this point. In essence the meat is "sweating" like an overheated muscle, shedding water. The heat also starts changing the meat, beginning to break it down by rendering fat and melting the collagen. An unwrapped hunk of meat can be in the stall stage for 4-6 hours, even longer.
3. Finishing stage: slowly climbing temps. Once the stall has finished, the meat has shed most of the water. The chemistry and physics of the breakdown process takes over. Fat continues to render and the collagen connective tissue starts melting more completely, tenderizing the meat. Depending on chamber temp, meat temp will usually climb 2-10F per hour. The greater the difference in temperature between the meat and the chamber, the faster the meat temp will climb toward completion.

So, all is fine. Relax.

noboundaries is spot on.Beside having constant regulatable heat,accurate and trustworty CC and IT temps are your friend. Knowing what's going on and having a good idea of when it's time to wrap(if doing so) and when to start probing for take off and rest is very convenient.

Thanks everyone.

The brisket is about 10.5lbs. Thermometer is alright, but I'm seeing the need to upgrade to dual probe. I plan to increase temp to 225 in about an hour, wrap at about 160deg.

Sound good?

Got a brisket on as well and hoping for a great turnout. First time trying the temp at 275 and loving it so far

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky