1st Brisket Flat---HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

georgia smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Thomasville, Ga.
I've always cooked full packer briskets. I have never done just a flat. My wife's birthday is Sunday and she wants brisket. I have a 6 lb flat that I'm going to smoke on my New Braunfels offset (25 years old) , planning on 225-250 smoking temp. Any suggestions ? I'm used to taking a whole brisket to tenderness probe test. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

I've done a few Flats the same way as a full Packer Brisket. I leave a little more fat on it for moisture and I wrap in Butcher paper when IT is 165. Then I cook til it's probe tender starting testing at 190, which is much sooner than a full Packer. That's because I fear it can overcook faster and may dry out sooner, so I start watching much sooner than a full Packer. I also put a mop sauce on it during cooking every 1-2 hours to keep it more moist. So basically the same just check sooner and it'll most likely cook faster than a full one.

I've done a few Flats the same way as a full Packer Brisket. I leave a little more fat on it for moisture and I wrap in Butcher paper when IT is 165. Then I cook til it's probe tender starting testing at 190, which is much sooner than a full Packer. That's because I fear it can overcook faster and may dry out sooner, so I start watching much sooner than a full Packer. I also put a mop sauce on it during cooking every 1-2 hours to keep it more moist. So basically the same just check sooner and it'll most likely cook faster than a full one.

Thanks, MJB
Over cooking it and drying it out is my biggest fear. I've smoked briskets for years, but, like I said, they were always whole briskets. Glad I could post my question and get help with my concern.

Thanks, MJB
Over cooking it and drying it out is my biggest fear. I've smoked briskets for years, but, like I said, they were always whole briskets. Glad I could post my question and get help with my concern.
Let me know how it turns out.

I’d throw in that if you wrap in the 160’s, check IT until about 190-195* then from there just probe for tender. The meat is done when the probe goes in the meat like pushing into a jar of peanut butter all over. Don’t worry about final temp, just probe feel. More briskets end up dry not because of over cooking, but because they weren’t cooked long enough. The fun fact is that tender brisket happens from an IT anywhere from 195 to 210* each piece of meat is different. That’s why we pull at probing tender, not a specific internal temperature.

For flats I smoke open till 165 IT. Move to a foil pan and add 2 cans of coke or dr pepper, cover with foil, probe the meat and start tooth picking it at 190. Cook till the tooth pic slides in with ease. Never had a dry flat.....

Boykjo

Here is a great way to smoke a flat, works every time.
Al

Here is a great way to smoke a flat, works every time.
Al
Al, I have book marked your post. I plan on doing it your way the next time I cook just a flat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky