1st 12lb fresh turkey done in 5 hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onerook

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Injected butter, ginger & garlic juice; rubbed with EVOO, sage & injection solution then let it come to room temp.  Brought Smoke Hollow electric to 220deg for 45 minutes, checked with known good thermometer; added water, hickory, & bird.   Replenished water & chips @ 3 hours, thigh temp was 140.  After 2 1/2 more hours checked internal thigh & breast - 170 so I pulled it, rechecked temp with 2 other thermometers and wrapped in foil.

Is 5 1/2 hour cook because it was a fresh bird?   Should have been at least 8-12 from what I have read on here.

I have tried chicken, loin & butt since I got the Friday - this is the only thing tat got finished fast.

I let it rest for an hour then tackled slicing and found that it is not a smokey as I expected, very mild smoke throughout all the meat.  Moist and tender much like my oven baked bird, I have a bake-in-tent method I have used for 40 years that is foolproof.  Now it looks like I have a 2nd option when it comes to bird :-)

Last edited:
Onerook , hello. Glad you found us and hope you decide to call his your place for all your BBQing needs and become  a part of the family.  i.e.-Greetings from Stan and Trish ...
biggrin.gif

Your Turkey looked great and the flavor will get better and better. The key is  "Practice ,Practice, Practice" .

Have fun in your new obsession , and as always . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky