• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st 12lb fresh turkey done in 5 hours?

onerook

Joined Dec 24, 2013
Injected butter, ginger & garlic juice; rubbed with EVOO, sage & injection solution then let it come to room temp.  Brought Smoke Hollow electric to 220deg for 45 minutes, checked with known good thermometer; added water, hickory, & bird.   Replenished water & chips @ 3 hours, thigh temp was 140.  After 2 1/2 more hours checked internal thigh & breast - 170 so I pulled it, rechecked temp with 2 other thermometers and wrapped in foil.

Is 5 1/2 hour cook because it was a fresh bird?   Should have been at least 8-12 from what I have read on here.

I have tried chicken, loin & butt since I got the Friday - this is the only thing tat got finished fast.

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2010
time frame is the same as i've done in the past and yours looks awesome...congrats on your 1st turkey

onerook

Joined Dec 24, 2013
I let it rest for an hour then tackled slicing and found that it is not a smokey as I expected, very mild smoke throughout all the meat.  Moist and tender much like my oven baked bird, I have a bake-in-tent method I have used for 40 years that is foolproof.  Now it looks like I have a 2nd option when it comes to bird :-)

Last edited:

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
Onerook , hello. Glad you found us and hope you decide to call his your place for all your BBQing needs and become  a part of the family.  i.e.-Greetings from Stan and Trish ...
biggrin.gif

Your Turkey looked great and the flavor will get better and better. The key is  "Practice ,Practice, Practice" .

Have fun in your new obsession , and as always . . .

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.