17lb brisket tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQlover81

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hey everyone,
I went to Sams Club today to pick up a brisket for tomorrow since my mom is visiting... unfortunately they only had a 17lb one left.

So my original plan (when I was thinking of getting a smaller one) was to start at 5AM, since I want to serve food around 7PM. Is this even possible with a brisket of this size? I do have a Traeger grill and was planning on running it at 205, with a wrap half way through.

Any suggestions? Eg should I run it at 225 or higher?

Thanks!

Thanks... I'm often reluctant to turn up the temps when I smoke but you're right... I guess I don't have a choice here. I also do plan on spritzing it every 90min or so, so hopefully that helps keep it moist.

I have a Pit Boss and have found the 250 Temp setting works really well for me doing a full packer, but i haven't done one over 13#'s. If you bump up the temps a bit I can't see any reason why you would not be able to get that piece done in the 14 hour window you plan on. Going off memory my last brisket was probe tender in 7 hours or so with a wrap at the stall. Again 12-13 #packer.

Many smoke full packers at 275 with no problem. Some do hot and fast at 350+ but that would probably take practice. I would do 275 and wrap when you are happy with the bark. Cook to 195 and then check for tenderness. When it probes like butter you are good to go.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll start at 250 for a few hours to get a smokey flavor, and then bump up to 275

Hey everyone,
I went to Sams Club today to pick up a brisket for tomorrow since my mom is visiting... unfortunately they only had a 17lb one left.

So my original plan (when I was thinking of getting a smaller one) was to start at 5AM, since I want to serve food around 7PM. Is this even possible with a brisket of this size? I do have a Traeger grill and was planning on running it at 205, with a wrap half way through.

Any suggestions? Eg should I run it at 225 or higher?

Thanks!
I’d run at 225 for 3 hours or so to get some color from the Traeger then bump to 350 or so until probe tender.

Reactions: BBQlover81
I've spent 17 hours on one that size @ 230. Wrapping @ 160 IT (+/-) will help a lot.

I agree with 250 to 275. maybe even higher to finish in that time frame?

One of the truly best parts of using a pellet smoker is the temp consistency. start it earlier. low and slow. Unless I am wrong about this you can put the wrapped Brisket in a cooler to hold until you need it.

Besides it is never a good look if the Pitmaster is not sleep deprived!!!!

One of the truly best parts of using a pellet smoker is the temp consistency. start it earlier. low and slow. Unless I am wrong about this you can put the wrapped Brisket in a cooler to hold until you need it.

Besides it is never a good look if the Pitmaster is not sleep deprived!!!!
This is true, the only downside is they run extremely efficiently above 250, great on the checkbook, not so great on the bark. I supplement with an amazn tube on any cook above 250 on my Rec Tec. Did a 7 lb shoulder today at 325 supplemented with a smoke tube and that baby was ready to go with a great bark in 5 hours.

Thanks for the advice all. Brisket is cooking... will keep you posted.

I hadn't heard about that smoke tube. Seems like a good idea, although a little pricey at $20+ for a single use(?)

B BBQlover81 Good Luck with the cook! Keep us informed. Pic well appreciated...LOL

Thanks! This is from about 4.5hrs in.
I'm about 5.5 hrs in now, and its almost reached 160, so should be wrapping very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 74
Thanks! This is from about 4.5hrs in.
I'm about 5.5 hrs in now, and its almost reached 160, so should be wrapping very soon.
WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD!! I need to do another one! Gotta get back on that horse after it kicked me to hell the last time!

So it turned out better than expected. I was a little scared cause it reached temperature after just 11 hours.

I served the point during dinner and everyone was really impressed. Got many compliments including from my fellow bbq fan friend. It was extremely moist. I don’t think I seasoned it enough but at least I know better for next time.

This is my 3rd brisket now and it seems to be getting better each time which is great. Looking forward to the next time!

Attachments

• 53F39174-2CA1-4E09-92D4-ED9C836626AB.jpeg
    53F39174-2CA1-4E09-92D4-ED9C836626AB.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 9AFCDA54-FA0A-49C3-8A54-EC40684FA5B1.jpeg
    9AFCDA54-FA0A-49C3-8A54-EC40684FA5B1.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 65
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky