15# fresh side

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not exactly the same. There is water extraction with dry curing, and in a bag that moisture ultimately gets reabsorbed, this kind of ex’s the whole point of dry curing. Dry curing originally was a partial drying process as well as salting, this made bacteria life difficult if not impossible, but this drying process also concentrated flavors of the meat and cure seasoning, giving a very distinct final flavor from the drying. Farther they then cold smoked, this is a process designed to further dry the meat ultimately making it shelf stable. The lowering of AW (available water) is the main player here, but all of this makes a very different product.
Today we dry cure in a vacuum bag or zip bag, this is contrary to the original methods and ways, and really produces a concentrated brine or wet cure.

I like to dry it out a bit in the cure process like the old ways. This makes a more original flavor profile, even though I really don’t need shelf stable, the flavor this way is old school, and I like it.
Gotcha I understand now. Similar to the ways of the salt box but with cure for safety. Salt box and a hang produced the dry cured bacon you are making. Might give that a go with the beef bacon or atleast half of it

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The method you describe is exactly how they cure Pancetta in Italy. After salting, the bellies either go into a large bin and stacked 3-4 bellies high, or onto slanted HDPE boards with grooves cut into it. The bellies are massaged and rearranged every couple days.
Yes it is basically the same process. Difference being I am staying in refrigeration and using less salt percentage for less time, but the idea is the same.

Reactions: indaswamp
Gotcha I understand now. Similar to the ways of the salt box but with cure for safety. Salt box and a hang produced the dry cured bacon you are making. Might give that a go with the beef bacon or atleast half of it
Very similar but using refrigeration and less salt. This will dry while curing for only 12-14 days then I warm smoke the finish.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Don't stay in there too long!!!
You'll freeze your butt off, and I'll have to eat your Bacon!!
Nice Looking Belly!!

Bear
Thank you Bear. The fridge feels pretty good after all the summer heat, but yes sir the bacon will be delicious.

Cutting cure time short because of the constraints of time with work, I’m slammed and it’s stacking deeper every day it seems, the excavation business is good, at least for now.

9 days curing in the open air on a rack in the fridge. Will smoke both pieces in the morning in the smokehouse with pecan and cherry mix.
708D9554-71C5-453B-BDF4-41F16AC2167F.jpeg

After trimming the dry edges.
0B95392A-1DD7-423A-9D8C-4562939D58CA.jpeg

Will post smoke shots tomorrow.

Reactions: DougE
Couldn't you just add wood chunks on top of engine on excavator...take your bacon to work and smoke it day? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's gonna be some good bacon.
Thank you Doug. Oh it’ll be good but not my best. I had to rush this batch.

Couldn't you just add wood chunks on top of engine on excavator...take your bacon to work and smoke it day? :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Haha! I’ve cooked many a lunch on the turbo but never smoked bacon that way.

I love old school bacon.
That is the color and texture I remember from the meat case.
Was this a straight dry brine or did you inject with enhancements?
This is straight forward dry rub. Half was put into a zip bag and the other half just laying on a wire rack.

This batch was:
1.5% sea salt
.25% cure #1
.5% white sugar.
granulated garlic and white pepper by eyeball.

I do not rinse after curing, only blot dry with paper towels then back into fridge over night for pellicule. The air dried/cured piece only gets a little trim then all in the smokehouse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky