• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

15.5# bone in rib roast cook

Buddy1969

Joined Feb 23, 2018
Morning all - I've done 6#-8# several time with great success, but never anything this big. Am I being too ambitious trying to leave it whole for presentation purposes? Thinking 6ish hrs to 130 should work, but really am just shooting in the dark. Any advice?

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
The only difference is size and time.
You were successful before and you'll be successful this time.
You're overthinking it and worrying about nothing.

jaxgatorz

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 30, 2008
It will depend on your smoker temp.. I like to smoke my rib roasts at 225. That gives me equal doneness across the whole roast.. In fact, I am throwing a 7 1/2 lb roast on as we speak.. I expect up to 5 hours on mine .. Yours is double the weight..

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
The process is the same regardless of size.Like Chile said the only difference is size and time.Relax and have a few cocktails.

SmokinGame

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 11, 2018
Interested in what others will offer because I have only done one rib roast that big. I really didn't do anything different from a smaller one, just used a couple probes for IT to insure I was getting a pretty even cook. I was using a Camp Chef pellet and options for placement is limited, but I did rotate it 180 a couple of times.

Buddy1969

Joined Feb 23, 2018
Interested in what others will offer because I have only done one rib roast that big. I really didn't do anything different from a smaller one, just used a couple probes for IT to insure I was getting a pretty even cook. I was using a Camp Chef pellet and options for placement is limited, but I did rotate it 180 a couple of times.
You remember roughly how long it took? Understanding there are a lot of variables and I'm going to temp, but just kinda interested in a ballpark idea.

SmokinGame

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 11, 2018
You remember roughly how long it took? Understanding there are a lot of variables and I'm going to temp, but just kinda interested in a ballpark idea.
It has been a few months, but your 6 hours seems a little short. Of course, depends on your smoke temp. I believe a rule of thumb is around 30 minutes per pound at 250F. That would put yours in that 7-1/2 to 8 hour range.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Morning all - I've done 6#-8# several time with great success, but never anything this big. Am I being too ambitious trying to leave it whole for presentation purposes? Thinking 6ish hrs to 130 should work, but really am just shooting in the dark. Any advice?
The only disadvantage to leaving a 6 or 7 bone roast whole is you only get two end cuts, and some people really favor an end cut. Once you get over 11 or 12 pounds the length/diameter works in your favor and cook time moves closer together. For example, lets say you had an average 8" long pork loin roast and it reaches 145° in 90 minutes. Cooking a 15" or 18" long loin roast will take about the same amount of time because the diameter is about the same, it just is longer. Keep in mind that 'shape' on a rib roast will vary from roast to roast more than my example of a pork loin... so always monitor with a thermometer.

I use a maximum of 250° for my cook times and below are some times from a database of prime rib cooks you could use as a gusstimate for your big day. Don't forget carryover temp, because a large roast will gain a few degrees while resting. To play it safe, don't schedule an absolute sit down time and to really play it safe, while the roast rests, warm up a cast iron skillet on your cooker. If anyone's slice looks too rare for them, zap that slice for a few seconds on each side and serve with the most 'done looking' side up. This fools the eyes into thinking it's more cooked than it really is. Once they bite, they will probably love it. All that said, after a couple of hours if you notice your internal temp rising a little too fast, ramp down your cooker so the internal temp will ease up to your preferred doneness.

10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°
19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124°

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
The only disadvantage to leaving a 6 or 7 bone roast whole is you only get two end cuts, and some people really favor an end cut. Once you get over 11 or 12 pounds the length/diameter works in your favor and cook time moves closer together. For example, lets say you had an average 8" long pork loin roast and it reaches 145° in 90 minutes. Cooking a 15" or 18" long loin roast will take about the same amount of time because the diameter is about the same, it just is longer. Keep in mind that 'shape' on a rib roast will vary from roast to roast more than my example of a pork loin... so always monitor with a thermometer.

I use a maximum of 250° for my cook times and below are some times from a database of prime rib cooks you could use as a gusstimate for your big day. Don't forget carryover temp, because a large roast will gain a few degrees while resting. To play it safe, don't schedule an absolute sit down time and to really play it safe, while the roast rests, warm up a cast iron skillet on your cooker. If anyone's slice looks too rare for them, zap that slice for a few seconds on each side and serve with the most 'done looking' side up. This fools the eyes into thinking it's more cooked than it really is. Once they bite, they will probably love it. All that said, after a couple of hours if you notice your internal temp rising a little too fast, ramp down your cooker so the internal temp will ease up to your preferred doneness.

10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°
19.5 pound roast (prime grade) - 240° pit temp (dome temp) - 4 hours 25 minutes to reach 124°
Bingo!!!! 4 bone and above all take about the same time given a similar diameter cross section....under 4 bone takes less because the distance from the cut ends is less than the diameter cross section.....

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
^^^^^^^ What Civilsmoker said!
The thickness of the meat, not the pounds are what matters.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.