14 Years and Nothing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Appreciate the consoling and heartening replies from everyone, this has been a rough year September to September so far.
Yeah, I'll get through, have to, but damned if it isn't going to hurt financially for awhile longer.
Already trying to find a place to fit in, maybe I'll end up having to make my own place, maybe not.
Whatever I do, I gotta do it fast.
No time to get rich off a cookbook, YouTube channel or open a restaurant.
Gonna burn all my vacation, maybe sell a few guns or some ammo or perhaps even one of my kids if they get on my frazzled nerves.

Last edited:
Dang, very sorry to hear that Chili. 14 yrs experience in your craft should be able to land you a pretty fair position with another company. Hoping for the very best and also on your recovery.
PT or exercise program is essential to stick with. 4yrs since my back surgery and haven't missed a morning yet.

Reactions: chilerelleno
What sucks is I was fully expecting to go back to work in another position.
Interesting. Companies today don’t communicate internally very well. Don’t blame you for being mad at them now, but make a few phone calls to former colleagues and bosses and tell them you thought things were going to be cool and see what they say. You may get that other position after all. At least it buys you time to assess other options

I got laid off once then hired back two weeks later “to another division”. Thing is, we’d combined those divisions 6 months before. But it was a way for the bosses to get me back without admitting they possibly made a mistake laying me off in the first place. I never really forgave them for that but it gave me over a year to get a much better job elsewhere. It’s funny and painful at the same time.

Appreciate the consoling and heartening replies from everyone, this has been a rough year September to September so far.
Yeah, I'll get through, have to, but damned if it isn't going to hurt financially for awhile longer.
Already trying to find a place to fit in, maybe I'll end up having to make my own place, maybe not.
Whatever I do, I gotta do it fast.
No time to get rich off a cookbook, YouTube channel or open a restaurant.
Gonna burn all my vacation, maybe sell a few guns or some ammo or perhaps even one of my kids if they get on my frazzled nerves.
I'd sell a kid before my guns or my jeep lol

really sucks to hear that news. I hope you find something that works for you and that your settlement is fair. And I totally agree with the other that based on your posts here you could start a restaurant/food truck that would be awesome!

So last September I hurt my shoulder at work, had surgery mid February and in mid Aug the orthopedist said he done everything he could and I'd healed/recovered as much as possible.
I have physical restrictions which preclude me going back to my original job, and they can't/won't accommodate me for continued employment.
So after 14 years of Very Good/Excellent performance reviews and working my ass of for this company I'm SOL.
"BYE!" and "Sayanara Sucker!"
Consulted a lawyer today and am gonna sue them for a settlement on the workers comp claim, which I wasn't going to do before they screwed me.
Time to look at unemployment and go job hunting at 54 years old.

Tough times/age to be doing this again.
Time to tighten up.

Feeling pretty low right now.
I was sitting next to the top guy once in a conference room and he was talking about how "we were all a family"... So I said "so, you mean, if you don't need me anymore and push me out the door, you are going to bring me groceries and all that on Saturday, like we're family?"

It was dead nuts silent for a few seconds, then the old sob blew his top! It was hilarious!!! :emoji_laughing:

I just laughed my way back to my office - unfortunately for him at the time, he needed me...

Things will get better for you sir. Heck you'll probably wind up a 5-star chef somewhere doing what you actually love!

Prayers going your way.

You have the personality to succeed at anything you try, sir. You will rise from these ashes like a Phoenix. Trust me on this - you have the right stuff and you will make the right choices. Yes, I can tell, just from a smoking forum.

Like others have said John, you have been given a lot of shitty curve balls lately, and I know it sucks and beats you down. But from what I have read from your posts since I have been on here is that you are very passionate about all that you do.

I hope you get what you deserve from your last employer, and I was going to mention if you could work for yourself at something you really like to do than it is a win win.
I was going to say the same as Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , as My boss is a real shit head sometimes also, but I still get up everyday and put my boots on and get to work.

I know it is a hard and tough time for you right now. and You have to make a few changes , but you will get through this.

David

Prayers sent, corps don't care about anything other than the bottom line, hope something better comes along quickly

John, if the worker's comp. lawyer is good you'll hopefully get a reasonable settlement. The process does chew up some time though. I'm betting you're going to land in a good place given the market conditions. Keep your chin up, and go after it. Many of us here are pulling for you.

Man, tough break been there done that too out to pasture at age 50 was never able to return after 2 years was able to get SS. But we all know that's no money. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Warren

So last September I hurt my shoulder at work, had surgery mid February and in mid Aug the orthopedist said he done everything he could and I'd healed/recovered as much as possible.
I have physical restrictions which preclude me going back to my original job, and they can't/won't accommodate me for continued employment.
So after 14 years of Very Good/Excellent performance reviews and working my ass of for this company I'm SOL.
"BYE!" and "Sayanara Sucker!"
Consulted a lawyer today and am gonna sue them for a settlement on the workers comp claim, which I wasn't going to do before they screwed me.
Time to look at unemployment and go job hunting at 54 years old.

Tough times/age to be doing this again.
Time to tighten up.

Feeling pretty low right now.

Best of luck to you in the courts.

JC

• Sad
Yeah, it'll work out.
I just need to dig through the freezer and pull out something to smoke.
The potatoes i just posted helped me de-stress quite a bit.

I'm not officially terminated yet, I was told by a certain person over me that we've nothing for you at this time.
I'm in a legal limbo due to workers comp, WC cut me off after the Doctor's release and declaration of MMI.
No money coming in now from either WC or my job(?).
Am I employed and receiving a salary or not dammit!

I've reached out to some contacts at corporate office and maybe something will come out of that.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I can feel your pain and anxiety John. I filed a WC claim after 33 years of being a union carpenter, I was done, back and shoulders. The insurance company will try to screw you at every opportunity. I strongly recommend having an attorney that specializes in workman's comp cases to be your advocate and ensure you are treated fairly. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky