120gal build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its alive!

cb7f04ac-4a8e-4498-80d6-6a581e4224bf.jpg

I think these short fat tanks look funny. lol

The base and steering where pretty straight forward.

Made this and welded it in.
20f3acad-5545-47d8-aee0-f3ddf39b1433.jpg

Added the piece that comes down and holds the top half of the bearing for the steering. Which I going to add some kind of support for it yet still.
4b6b650e-c136-4b78-b649-b2177206e610.jpg

Then added the bottom half of the bearing to the front axle, along with the handle Im going to pull it around by.
1192c967-77d2-4d5e-adb0-eb9d45aff1ad.jpg

More to come in the next two days.

Dont know if Im going to do some more cleaning up on the tank or made start putting the firebox door together.

Still have to figure out my stack, which I might need a little help on.

cheers

Last edited:
Got the cook chamber door on. Still need to put on the real handle for it and drill a couple holes for the temp gauges.
415daabd-d902-48b4-af1f-e80322c9970a.jpg

I think I messed up with the hinges for it though. The pivot point on the hinges are to close to the tank, so when I went to put on the 1" flat bar for the top of the door, it would hit and not open. I just had to adjust it some by pull it down more into the chamber door so it would still cover the cut for the door enough but open still without hitting. A little trial and error but its all worked out. I think Ill have to put a strip of flat bar along the top pf the door on the inside so it dont leak. Ill find that out when I get to fire it up.

Next 5??? Yeah this one took ALOT of time and effort. DOnt know how many times I want to do this again, but....... you never know. lol I did mess up on a few things, one irks me everytime I look at it.

Talking about messing up, this is one I did the other day but I thought it turned out ok, ok for me anyways and thats the one that counts the most. :)

I messed up cutting out for my collector. I blame it on the curve of the tank and this being my first time doing a project like this. Now I know. heh
dcc6be6a-b86e-4768-980d-659c0eb4ad5a.jpg

Just cut a piece and welded it back in. lol Thought it turned out ok. :D
3f31dfa9-7014-4da3-990e-6aed7d5ebce5.jpg

In my head I was thinking that I was going to make the collector almost the width of the tank but my steel supply on hand didnt allow for that.

My firebox is pretty much done. All is left is strengthing up the door from warping. Just going to weld on a X on the inside. easy peasy
98826866-a0a8-488c-9ca5-26fe413ccd68.jpg

My cook chamber door is pretty much done too. All thats left there is get a bit big enough for my temp gauges. Have it drilled out to 1/2" but need to go just over 3/4" for them. Welded in my reverse flow plate today but I just noticed that I never took any pics today, so nothing for that.

All I have left is make the grates, add the gauges, support the firebox door and maybe a couple other small things like season the inside, paint the outside. Hoping to smoke something this sunday, maybe.

d41d7b2c-17f8-406f-939a-0b6dcfea4118.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado0321
Next 5??? Yeah this one took ALOT of time and effort. DOnt know how many times I want to do this again, but....... you never know. lol I did mess up on a few things, one irks me everytime I look at it.

Talking about messing up, this is one I did the other day but I thought it turned out ok, ok for me anyways and thats the one that counts the most. :)

I messed up cutting out for my collector. I blame it on the curve of the tank and this being my first time doing a project like this. Now I know. heh
View attachment 644069

Just cut a piece and welded it back in. lol Thought it turned out ok. :D
View attachment 644070

In my head I was thinking that I was going to make the collector almost the width of the tank but my steel supply on hand didnt allow for that.

My firebox is pretty much done. All is left is strengthing up the door from warping. Just going to weld on a X on the inside. easy peasy
View attachment 644071

My cook chamber door is pretty much done too. All thats left there is get a bit big enough for my temp gauges. Have it drilled out to 1/2" but need to go just over 3/4" for them. Welded in my reverse flow plate today but I just noticed that I never took any pics today, so nothing for that.

All I have left is make the grates, add the gauges, support the firebox door and maybe a couple other small things like season the inside, paint the outside. Hoping to smoke something this sunday, maybe.

View attachment 644073
Looks like it’s coming along nicely.I’m curious what made you decide to paint the outside and not season it similar to the inside?

Im going to conola oil (pam) the inside and right now looking at painting the firebox, frame/stand and collector/stack black and doing linseed oil for the tank to mix it up a little.

Reactions: chp
Busy weekend but I got the first cook in on sunday. After she was finally seasoned in she ran clean as clean can be. :) In fact I think she might be TO efficient. The fire roars like a jet and the air flow is crazy, so crazy I think it might have to be tamed down a bit, Ill know more when I get some more cooks under my belt with it. I found that the ribs I made were drying out pretty fast so I was spritzing alot.

I was sick of cleaning off the rust so I did a quick paint job on some of it.

ad9292e2-6f99-4eb4-be63-5bd770c0e08c.jpg

Reactions: Colorado0321
Looking good and congrats on getting your first cook in!! Hopefully you'll get in dialed in quickly!! Thanks for the update.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky