120 gallon RF trailer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been a while since an update. I've done a few small things recently. Put eyelids over the temp gauges, and built an angle iron stand for the cooker to sit on. It's pretty much done at this point except cleaning up weld spatter. Still need to figure out how I'm moving it out of my shop. And getting it on the trailer.

Kyle

I'm building it for a friend and as far as I know he's going to powder coat it. Still a long ways till then. Once I get it out I have to reinforce the trailer and put diamond plate on it.

Kyle

Finally finished the fabrication on the smoker itself. Next is the trailer. I ended up rolling it on 1/2" bar stock on 1" plywood and a 6 foot prybar. Worked pretty well. Gonna test fire it today to see if I need to modify anything.

Kyle

IMG_1416.JPG
Finally got a suitable trailer for this thing. Got it moved in today. Gonna start adding cross members for the diamond plate.

Kyle

I see the Sandblasting rig. Are you going to blast it? Also see you have a 250 Gallon Gonella tank laying there, is that for a future build?

I'm not going to sandblast it myself, way to much trailer for that little blaster. I'm going to cut a section from that other tank to use as a FB for a 300 gallon tank I just picked up. At least that's the plan at the moment. I may use that tank whole for a smoker. But I've got that 300 gallon tank that's thicker walled so I'm going to use that one for sure.

Kyle

Finally got a chance to work on the trailer some. I’ve got most of the cross beams tacked in. Still need a few in the tongue area and I need to cut the rear cross member out as it’s dropped for a boat. Then I’ll replace it with a flat peice. The other existing cross members will stay. I don’t see a reason to cut them out. I’m having a friend that’s a certified welder do all the finish welds. I’m not experienced with vertical up or overhead welding, and I figure a trailer with a couple thousand pounds of bbqs probably isn’t the best thing to practice on. Hopefully I can get all the cross members tacked in and some Jr beams to support the seam between sheets of diamond plate before the end of the holidays.

Thanks for the look, Kyle
5DB77D48-49BC-4081-BC0C-88DF3C211E6E.jpeg

looks good. I usually paint the chassis and Diamond plate first before installing it. Then good tack welds from underneath while someone stands on top to weight it down. Then you only need to paint the area where you welded underneath.

Reactions: socalcooker
looks good. I usually paint the chassis and Diamond plate first before installing it. Then good tack welds from underneath while someone stands on top to weight it down. Then you only need to paint the area where you welded underneath.

The trailer is 5’9” wide and I can only get diamond plate 5’x10’. So I’m going to have a very long weld seam pretty much the length of the trailer. I think I will get the frame sandblasted before the diamond plate goes on just to avoid any problems with rust down the road.

Kyle

Got quite a bit done the last few days. All the cross members are tacked in ready to weld up. I cut the boat cross member from the rear and replaced with a flat peice. The diamond plate is just laying on there to mark where my Jr beams will go.

Happy new year everyone!
0FE9D2DB-A858-412A-AF7A-11F377075586.jpeg
E521D19F-652D-4DF3-84B3-30D0E34B22B8.jpeg

So you are going to put the seam under the main cooking chamber so is less visible? Run a small angleor T section where the join is to stop it bowing down if you stand on it.

Actually I was going to put the seam opposite of the cooker, but now that you mention it I may put it under the cooker to be less noticeable.

Kyle

Reactions: ahumadora
C6ED1449-7E3D-4AB2-A0E7-C7A2A60E8CF0.jpeg
Long time since an update. The trailer is on hold for a while. My buddy I’m building it for, his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. So for the time being I delivered the smoker so they can use it. This was the first cook. St. Louis ribs, pork belly burnt ends, and beans. Will eventually finish the trailer and mount it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky