$100 steal. Is it worth upgrading the controller to a PID?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingpigfoods

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 14, 2013
Brinnon, WA
Picked up this Pit Boss 820 for $100 off Facebook. Has a hole in the heat defused and the drip tray, pit a piece if steel on top of the heat defused and foil around the drip tray and works just fine. Is it worth upgrading the controller to a PID controller? Seems like the temperature swing is getting less the more I used it.
upload_2019-7-16_1-17-50.png

upload_2019-7-16_1-20-58.jpeg

upload_2019-7-16_1-22-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-16_1-16-20.png
    upload_2019-7-16_1-16-20.png
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks like a well used unit, but for $100 I would have snagged it too. If there is one thing I learned about these, its if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I swapped out the stock controller in my new PB smoker with a PID thinking I didn't want to deal with the issues other people had. A short time later, I swapped back because I found the PID wasn't generating enough smoke to my liking.

So my suggestion is to run it for awhile and see how it works for you.

Looks like it has had some grease fires,I'd spend $ on a new defusser plate and some paint, then use it for a lot of years lol

Thanks all.
I was thinking about using it in this stainless fridge I picked up a few years ago.
I was going to make it electric but now I’m not sure. I have all the parts just never got around to it.
upload_2019-7-17_14-0-58.jpeg

Like you, I am a firm believer in the KISS method. Not so sure I'd go electric though. I do like a wood fire even if these days it's wood pellets. I think there bolt on pellet units out there that include everything including hopper, auger, fire pot, igniter and controller etc. but I dont know the costs or if it's worth the trouble and aggravation once you figure the cost of just buying a good pellet grill. Like I said, KISS.

$$$. Think Big Chief. Basic design and gets the job done, provided the plan is cold smoking. I'd probably throw in a small muffin fan to circulate the smoke a bit and regulate the exhaust.

Reactions: Richard Foster
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky